Saturday 16 March 2019

Back to Spain...

Last week the lead pile was renewed with the arrival of a parcel containing ten Spanish infantry battalions and a cavalry regiment.

The first unit to pass through the uniform store is the first battalion Guadalajara Regiment. As with the other regiments in this collection the first battalion of the regiment contains all of the grenadiers for the regiment.






























It is my intention for this regiment, and another one that follows, that the troops are in mixed civilian and uniform dress. This allows me to use these units in the latter part of the early period (1805-1808) when the area was particularly poorly supplied with uniforms and through into the middle period (1809-1811). However, while there are two codes for the fusiliers in mixed uniform there is only the full uniform for the grenadiers. My solution here was to add some trousers over the gaiters of about half the figures with some green stuff and to paint some of the gaitered figures with trousers of varying colours and with some patches painted on them.








Next up will be a light infantry unit for 1805-1808 and a line unit in round hats for 1808-1809.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. I am waiting for the fusiliers to finish the other battalions to arrive - the parcel wirh them seems to be tasking an extraordinary time to arrive!

      Delete
  2. Nice work as always Mark - I have used that technique myself for Peninsular Brits - varied trouser colours and patches or even holes in the knees etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I have another. Battalion being based at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, and great to see you back on the Spanish again Mark. You have done a terrific job on the cap bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just based up a battalion in round hats. The uniform is rather bland as individuals, but the look really good as a unit. Another box of goodies arrived today so watch for a rush of units in the next week or two.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done and I do like units of 18 on 3 bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. I have been moving to this sort of unit structure for a number of projects - the Carlist War, the Egyptian campaign, Dark Ages, Wars of the Roses and these. The units just look right to me.

      Delete
  5. Looks good. I like the officer in the straw hat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have another five sets of these to do, so I think I will have to vary the mix of hat colours.

      Delete
  6. Painting white and making it look good 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the white is difficult, but the yellow for the dragoons is worse! But the final result is worthe it.

      Delete
  7. Very nice Mark...
    Some damn fine hats... ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and with the fusiliers the is even a greater millinary variety. I should be on to them in a few days.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking grenadiers! The patches work a treat! Nice and raggedy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I am looking forward to working on the fusiliers where there is even greater variety.

      Delete