Friday, 20 January 2017

Russian Opolchenie Cavalry Unit

The latest unit off the painting table is this unit of Opolchenie, or militia, Cavalry from the Perrys. Yet again they have been done in a winter setting.







The command pack does not have a standard bearer so I created one, although I am not all all certain that they would have carried a standard. For the standard I used one captured off the Warlord Games chat site, which I edited in photoshop by adding a different icon image. Then the challenge came to make the standard "fly" with the rider on a cantering horse.


Sunday, 15 January 2017

More Retreat from Moscow Pieces

Painting on the Retreat from Moscow project has kicked off again for the year with the final pack in the French range. This is a group of mixed nationalities in skirmishing poses. 


Also completed this week and finished in a winter setting is the Russian Opolochenie 3pdr gun, crew and limber set.





On the painting table is a unit of Opolochenie cavalry that should be completed by the middle of the week. 

Thursday, 12 January 2017

East African Railway Station - Part 6

Looking at the railway station the day after I finished it, I decided that it was too neat and tidy. It needed some platform clutter. So I set out to build some. 

The clutter had to fulfil two goals. First to make the platform less pristine and second to provide items that could be used in a barricade. So the pieces had to be loose. I chose to make these in strips of 50mm and there would be stacks of passenger baggage, bales, sacks and crates, and then a mix of those. I also wanted to make some platform benches.

Using a piece of cardboard for a base, I use some foam core board as the former and applied green-stuff and other types of epoxy putty to create the outer surface of bales and crates. I made a separate stack of sacks and a stack of suitcases and travel trunks.

A stack of bales: Above the basic form with some Greenstuff applied; below the complete stack ready for painting; below that the painted item.


Above the basic shape for two crates either side of a stack of sacks. Below the finished item

A stack of sacks (above) and suitcases (below)

The benches are made from plasticard, with baggage beside and on them the made from Greenstuff.




When painted and placed around the platform it gave me the effect I was looking for.



Saturday, 7 January 2017

East African Railway Station - Part 5

Today I assembled and painted the completed model.

I am really pleased the way the corrugated iron finished up and will I will use the technique with the other four or five buildings needed to complete the project.












Friday, 6 January 2017

East African Railway Station - Part 4

So the last of the construction work on the railway station is complete.

First up there was a bit of filling and the roof cap. Next was a barred window at the back of the baggage/freight area and two gates for the front of the same area.



These gates were cut from plasticard and will be fixed to the model when the painting is complete.

Finally I made the porch in front of the ticket office/waiting room. For the pillars I used 6mm square balsa wood and fixed them to a 100mm x 25mm plastic card with glue and a steel dressmaker's pins. On top of the plasticard I built a wedge and glued corrugated iron textured plasticard, that I curled down over the front edge. This piece is free standing for now, but like the gates will be glued in place once the model is painted.



Over the weekend I will paint the model.

Thursday, 5 January 2017

East African Railway Station - Part 3

Last night's task was to finish the corrugated iron roof. This entailed cutting some 50 sheets of "iron" and then fixing them to the cardboard form of the roof, overlaying the sheets as I went. This tedious task took a couple of hours, but a suitable ramshackle look was achieved.



All that is left to do on the roof now is to put a Green Stuff apex on the top and do a little filling along the ridges.

Having completed the roof, I cut a sheet of textured plasticard for the platform surface. The texture is a little more regular than I would have liked, but an irregular pattern was not available. After cutting the basic shape, I cut out the area beneath the building, not only to save some of the sheet, but also to provide a better surface to eventually glue the model to.


The building dry fitted to its base.

The final task was to fix the lintels above the windows. These I cut from 1mm cork sheeting. I used this because when painted it has an interesting rough finished stone like texture.


The next step is to construct a covered portico across the front of the main structure.

Wednesday, 4 January 2017

East African Railway Station - Part 2

Having completed the basic structures I fitted the window frames and glued in the roof bases in place.

The Front View

The Back View
Corner View

I then cut out what will become the platform from a piece of double thickness foam core board and cut a lip and recess of 3mm, into which I fixed strips of stoneface textured plasticard.

Front

Back

For what will be the corrugated iron roof I constructed the basic form in heavy card and glued it in place. The corrugated iron will be fixed to this in due course.
 
The Basic Roof Structures

While all the glue was setting I cut pieces of roofing iron. These I cut from a sheet of HO scale cortucated iron textured plasticard - I used the HO sheeting because corrugations on the OO scale sheet, that is nearer to 28mm, looked out of scale.

The Corrugated Iron Sheet

The Pieces of Iron Ready for Fitting