Sunday, 23 July 2017
Wednesday, 19 July 2017
This week’s main focus has been the first of two regiments of cuirassiers for my Russian Napoleonic collection.
This regiment is the Gloukhov Regiment. The figures are Perry miniatures again, a mix of the charging with swords raised and shouldered figures. The horses are good solid beasts, as heavy cavalry horse ought to be.
To a some extent I was dreading these because of their white coats, and I sometime struggle with white, but I needn’t have feared. The fact that the blackened cuirass covers most of the torso dramatically reduces the amount of white that has to be painted – it limits the white it to the arms, coat tails and the gauntlets.
The dark blue facings on this regiment caused me some problems with the trumpeter as I have not done that great a job on the lace down his sleeves. Nonetheless I am quite pleased with the overall effect. They look suitably menacing.
Also completed this week is the third of the artillery batteries required for the army. In many 1812 formations the divisional artillery consisted of two field batteries and one position battery. By 1813 the number of batteries was generally reduced to two. The field batteries (and horse batteries for that matter) consisted of eight 6lb guns and four 10lb howitzers. The position batteries contained the heavier 12lb guns and 20lb howitzers, in the same numbers as the light batteries. In my batteries I have used two models; one gun and one howitzer.
Again these are Perry miniatures and what wonderfully meaty guns these are. They really look the part of heavy guns.
I have one more battery to do for this army and it is a horse battery, which I have ordered from Front Rank – rather annoyingly I noted just after I had placed the order that the Perrys have horse artillery on the workbench! Oh well…
For now it is back to the second cuirassier regiment, the Ekaterinoslav regiment.
Sunday, 16 July 2017
Wednesday, 12 July 2017
Due to another flattening of the lead pile I returned to the winter village that I commenced last month. This, regular readers might recall, is for a future Great Northern War project. The simple nature of the structures will enable their use in any winter theater in Eastern Europe and into Scandinavia from the 16th Century right up to the Second World War.
This second batch of buildings consists of four structures. The first two buildings are a variant on the two that were completed earlier in that they are dwellings.
I still have to complete the base on this one.
The other two buildings - a farm house and a barn - are in ruins.
There may be one more structure in this series, perhaps it will be something to work on the next time that the lead pile flattens out.
In the meantime it is back to the Napoleonic Russians with work commencing on two cuirassier regiments and a position battery.