Tuesday, 30 October 2018
Sunday, 28 October 2018
The French chose to deploy all of their forces to the right of the big sand hill, with the 22nd Légeré on the extreme right, the 75th de Ligne on its left and the cavalry on the extreme left. The whole force was kept below the crest of the dunes.
The British deployed all their dummy boats on the left, directly opposite the 22nd Légeré To their right were the Guards, supported by the marines and the battery. Then came the two battalions of Craddock’s brigade and Moore’s regiments were on the extreme right, directly opposite the big sand hill. They chose to keep out of the range of Fort Abuqir.
In a brilliant show of rowing the British boats all hit the shore at exactly the same time and disembarked in perfect order.
The 13th Foot and the Corsican Rangers came up on the right of the 8th and were forced into square by the 5th dragoons. Then followed a cat an mouse game between Craddock and the cavalry until the marines and the British guns blasted the 14th Dragoons, forcing them to flee. The British infantry then advanced on the 5th Dragoons and the horse battery, slowly forcing them back.
Meanwhile Moore made good headway, unopposed, on the big sand hill, occupying it easily without taking a casualty.
The Guards, however had serious problems. The French infantry advanced against them and caught them in a crossfire. The 3rd Guards crumbled under intense small arms fire and fled up the beach. The Coldstreams were not far behind them as they were taken front and flank and they too made off down beach - no doubt to the jeers of the boat crews.
For a moment it looked as though the French infantry might roll up the British left flank, but the navy came to the rescue and the fire from the ships broke up the French demi-brigades and the French forces left the field.
The French deployed the 22nd Légeré, damaged in the previous engagement, in the ruins supported by the light battery. The other two demi-brigades were deployed on the right with the cavalry in the center. They intended to push forward to engage the British as they came though the broken hills and palm groves.
The British put Moore on the right, Craddock in the middle and Stuart on the left. They hoped to push past the French right.
The French stepped off first and the infantry on the right the quickly advanced and took the edge of the high ground. The cavalry dashed forward to block Moore.
But the cavalry soon found itself in a poor position and the 14th Dragoons were quickly shot to pieces. The horse artillery was quickly in action but began to take hits. The 5th Dragoons also began to take hits and began to withdraw covered by the Chasseurs a Cheval.
On the French right the infantry was quickly engaged with Stuart's emigré regiments. Dillon's regiment attempted to drive off the French battalion on the extreme right, but was shot to pieces coming in and was routed back against the lake. The French followed up and dispersed the Dillon men to the wind.
Monday, 22 October 2018
Thursday, 18 October 2018
Tuesday, 16 October 2018
Saturday, 13 October 2018
Flutter number three of the wargames butterfly wings leads me to land on a third project for the week.
Back in July I completed some Janissaries, the second unit of Ottoman Turks from Brigade Games to serve as allies to the British in Egypt. My plan was to add three units of cavalry and three of infantry.
But since then our dollar (some unkind elements have been known to refer to it as the “Pacific Peso”) has taken a hammering against the $US, dropping over 13% since I made my initial plans back in March. This, combined with the fact that Brigade don’t offer a post free purchase level, has disrupted my purchasing plans. What was to be a relatively small investment had ballooned out to $621.
Then I remembered that Gripping Beast did some plastic Arab cavalry and infantry. I jumped online and played around with the pack quantities and prices quickly discovering that I could buy two boxes of heavy cavalry, one of light cavalry and one of infantry for a landed cost of $165 and that would create four cavalry and two infantry units. The thought of saving of $456 appealed to me, but what would I be missing out on by using these figures over specifically designed Ottoman Napoleonic figures? On closer examination the answer was not a lot. Reading contemporary descriptions of the Ottoman army it was described largely as a medieval horde. The only significant difference appeared to be the addition of firearms and perhaps a few less shields.
Digging through the plastic bits boxes I had lots of muskets left over from the WSS project some years ago. I had some pistols left over from an old ECW project and a friend gave me a bunch more pistol arms left over from his ECW/TYW project. With a bit of kit bashing skill, adding muskets and pistols to the figures would be a relatively simple task. I also had some sets of arms left over from the Napoleonic dragoon sets that with a little carving and some Green Stuff might enable me to create some figures firing muskets.
So the order was placed. Within a week and a bit four boxes of Arab infantry and cavalry were waiting for me on the doorstep, and here are the first efforts: a unit of Malmuk cavalry and a unit of foot.
I am pleased with them and some more may follow.