Monday 23 October 2023

2nd battalion, 66e Régiment de Ligne

The mound of garden bark that I showed in the post is distributed to the gardens.

The Blueberry garden with the cardboard layed (the cardboard blocks the weed growth). 

And with the bark spread

The front rose garden with all its weeds...


And much tidier with the bark layed 

The whole job took six hours, but while we started in overcast conditions the sky soon cleared and the day became hot. As I shovelled away these words rang through my head 🎶Breaking rocks in the hot sun, I broke the law and law won🎶 (from the song by the Bobby Fuller Four - although I prefer the Clash or Green Day versions). But it is done and the gardens are tidy again. 

The day ended with the completion of this the Second Battalion of the 66e Régiment.






 The Third Battalion is on the painting table now.


13 comments:

  1. Fab Frenchmen, Mark. You are a handy Gardner too.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm handy with a shovel and wheelbarrow at least!

      Delete
  2. A very productive weekend on all front by the look of things Mark! I too had some outside tasks mixed in with some quality time at the painting desk - results of the latter to be revealed shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Productive and relaxing is the best way to describe it (the shovelling of bark excepted of course from the relaxing part).

      Delete
  3. Great work and the garden looks better for the bark mulch. I'm in the process of putting our garden to bed as it were with Autumn progressing, albeit rather slowly compared to previous years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it looks much neater now. Our mild and wet winter has seen the weeds explode this year.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful addition to your French. My gardening is also shovel and wheelbarrow based. Mostly clearing out spots for my wife to perform her garden magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it best to limit my gardening work to mowing and moving...causes far less arguments.

      Delete
  5. Another lovely battalion and that bark really has made a difference. I did the same with our front garden last year, but a lot of it seems to have now disappeared thanks to rain and bush turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the bark should be done every two to three years, but we let it slip out to seven with COVID and all that. It is extremely satisfying now that it is completed.

      Delete
    2. Good grief - some people will use Covid as an excuse for ANYTHING! - Next, you will be saying there is a shortage, due to the war in Ukraine LOL :)

      Delete
  6. Another lovely unit Mark…
    Yep…I looked at the garden today…. It’s still there 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The last unit of the regiment is completed now and hopefully based tonight. Yes my garden is still the too, but in its tidied state will not need too much attention for a while...thankfully.

      Delete