Thursday, 23 July 2026

French FPW Lancers

A month or so ago I added a small unit of the 6th Lancers to my Franco-Prussian French cavalry. 

In our recent game they showered themselves in glory by routing and then destroying a regiment of Prussian uhlans and I decided to boost that unit to a full strength regiment of twelve figures...actually I planned the expansion five or six weeks ago, but they failed to arrive in some to take the field with their  colleagues. 

So, here are the new recruits...



And the whole regiment...





29 comments:

  1. Great additions to the glory boys, very nicely done Mark. Hopefully they will prevail on the table again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie...and their glory was earned against all odds too...fingers crossed for next time!

      Delete
    2. Well, yes, considering their comandante was Monsieur Jean!

      Delete
    3. M Jean often does better than he thinks.

      Delete
  2. These troopers look great, Mark! Good to see you rewarding success by doubling the size of the regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan...but we wont be rewarding EVERY unit with an expansion for success otherwise things could get well out of hand!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mark,

    Splendid work on expanding the regiment! After a performance like routing and destroying a unit of Prussian Uhlans, they definitely earned their extra recruits. The pennants look brilliant en masse—a cracking addition to your FPW French force.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. They take on quite a different look in the bonnet de police.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking additions Mark…
    Let’s hope they are also twice as effective…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that their expansion will be their downfall...but never mind red pants and blue tunics make a pleasing combination.

      Delete
  5. A fabulous looking unit, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine body of men there Mark and I do like their forage (?) caps, which mkae them stand out to my eyes. BTW, this post seems to have arrived much more promtly in my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I have discovered a potential fix for the Blogger issue. If you append ?alt=rss to the url on the blog list the list sorts correctly...for now anyway!

      Delete
  7. Bringing them up to full strength is a just reward for their plucky contribution a couple of weeks ago, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind you for their cheek they were later blown to pieces by German gunners!

      Delete
  8. They look tops Mark, with plenty of apparent motion thanks to the mix of poses.
    A genuine question: did they commonly wear the fatigue cap in this era, or is this just for variety with your figures and units?
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the bonnet was a number of one of a number of options for headgear. There is a direct reference that says the 2nd Lancers wore the bonnet at Morsbronn and there is painting "News from the Front" by Georges Louis Hyon showing them wearing it just before the charge there.

      Delete
  9. As with most games, the more in a unit, the better and more impressive it looks! Hope they continue to perform well on the tabletop. Who knows, more successes may mean they'll deserve further upgrades! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, but I think they have reached the pinnacle of their success.

      Delete
  10. Lovely minis and inspiration to start FPW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely additions Mark. I've just realised I don't have any French lancers in my collection

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it is a cliche but it seems that so often new units fail spectacularly on their first outing, so its great to see these guys do so well. A beautiful-looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odds were against them in the fight and if they had lost the Prussians would probably have smashed the rest of the brigade. So they were real heroes!

      Delete