Tuesday, 7 July 2026

Villages for the Franco-Prussian War - Part 1: Planning

With the end of the Austrian expansion in sight and with the thought of a Franco-Prussian War campaign in mind, I decided that I needed some buildings for this era and location.

The idea is to make two sets: one to represent the towns and villages in Lorraine, more specifically around Metz, and another to represent those of northeastern Lorraine and Alsace which have a more Germanic feel.

Research is key to a project like this so the first thing I did was go online and look up images from that area in that period. The Alsacian villages proved relatively easy to research for two reasons: first because the region has not undergone heavy development, and second, because the villages and towns near or on the battlefield were largely left undamaged in 1870 and by the World Wars. The main battle in Alsace was Froschweiler, or Wörth as the Germans knew it, and several good contemporary images of Froschweiler exist, although the last three images below contradict my mention of a lack of battle damage.





Morsbronn, a few kilometres to the south is captured in the famous painting of the charge of the 8th and 9th Cuirassiers.

Much of the town today has that same chocolate box look that it had in 1870.


The towns of Wörth and Wissembourg today also have that chocolate box look. These Alsacian buildings are going to be a pleasure to make.

The villages near Metz were a little more difficult to get detail on. There are only a few contemporary images available and some villages were severely damaged in the battles of August 16 and 18 and have been rebuilt in different styles. There are, however some images taken in the early 1900s that give insight.

Mars la Tour - (images three and four below were clearly taken during WWI).




Rezonville -



Knutsnge - a little further north of Metz, but this café will make an interesting addition.

St Privat -


 

Some modern day images of Rezonville and Vionville also provide some ideas.


However, the best inspiration for the Lorraine buildings is found on John Boadle's  Hand-Built History blog (link, link, link). I shall be drawing much inspiration from John's models.

Armed with imagery to spark my imagination I began to think how to create the villages. I want these to be modular with ability to create streets. My first thought was to create perhaps ten or so buildings on bases rather like the ruins I made earlier this year that would enable me to create the building and its back yard like the properties shown in this image of Mars la Tour (taken from the bell tower of the village church).

The problem with this idea was that it meant that a village with a double sided street would have a depth of over 500mm and that would take up a lot of space on a table. Then, when looking for more images, I found this map of the village of St Privat at the time of the battle.

I liked the way that the streets and narrow alleyways ran off at odd angles, but village of that size to scale would extend across an entire table. What if I made a part of it? So I drew a box around around the best known part of the village - around the old cemetery and the chapel. 

Then I blocked out the buildings and after a little bit of adjustment I had a workable village layout that could be built in modules that could be put together in various forms. 


It was then scaled so that the building sizes would vary between a 60mm-80mm frontage, with a 70mm-110mm depth. All bases would have a standard depth of 125mm. Back yards would be created later as separate pieces.

So there is the basic concept for the Lorraine village. The next phase will be to create a couple of forms, probably for the cemetery and chapel first, and then work out how to make the modules mix and match. This will not be a quick project.




18 comments:

  1. A very interesting start. Given your talent at model making I am looking forward to future developments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much research and planning, but if your previous terrain is anything to go by, the results will be worth it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I have started work on the church that will be the centre piece.

      Delete
  3. Great Photo's Mark, nice to see the maps as well which will certainly help with your build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loads of lovely images there Mark and I can see why you are enthused about making these. John Boadle has done brilliant work as mentioned. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create in terms of representing the village, without taking up too much space, as your initial ideas look good.

    BTW this post only appeared in my Reading List this morning, Thursday 9th July, in the UK. Blogger is certainly up to playing 'Silly Buggers' once again:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve I have the basic form for the church built now. I expect to start the real work on it next week. The post appeared on my list on the morning of the 8th...about 14 hours after publishing.

      Delete
  5. Interested to follow along with this project, Johns buildings are top notch! As youve said, quite Germanic looking buildings, my south German built up areas for 1809 advance at a snails pace but I do enjoy scratch building them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The Germanic looking buildings will be a little further down the track. The Lorraine buildings are under way.

      Delete
  6. Really interesting post Mark and some great research, looking forward to seeing it all take shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. This will be a slow developmdnt.

      Delete
  7. This lo9ks like a very interesting project Mark. I'm pretty sure with your buildings skills you'll pull this off quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. The first building is taking shape now.

      Delete
  8. Great to see this, Mark, and I'm glad my efforts were of some use in the process. Thanks for the mention.

    You have dug out all the right sort of images. One more source, though you've probably been there already, is the pictures that will come up on searching for "Panorama de Rezonville". The paintings of Detaille and de Neuville are inspiring for colour and detail, and they really show the garden walls, etc in a useful way. The viewpoint of the Panorama was from just to the north of Rezonville by the way.

    There are loads of old photos of rural France out there, but you have to be a teeny bit careful as they mostly date from a little later, from the 1890's to the 1920's in general. So a few details had changed. An example would be the cafe, which you wouldn't find in rural areas in 1870.

    I look forward to seeing your first buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Your blog has given me much inspiration. I have been working on the St Privat church today - the main form is done, the doors and windows are in progress and the stone work will start next week...mind you four Bavarian artillery sets have arrived in the country and will be in my hands on Sunday so that work may slip...and I will be using your article as a reference there too!

      Yes the panorama is a go to reference for me? When we were in Gravelotte a few years ago I bought the little guide book, but also took a couple of dozen high resolution close up images with a good lens on the DSLR.

      Shame about the lack of cafés in the country villages...would have been a nice touch.

      Delete
  9. Gosh this is all rather fantastic really looking forward to your build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is starting to come together...there should be something to show late next week.

      Delete