Monday 10 July 2023

Hussar Regiment 4, Hessen-Homberg and a Bit of Gaming in Spain

Having completed six battalions of French FPW line infantry I needed a break from blue coats and red trousers. So I have been working on a regiment of Napoleonic Austrian hussars, the final unit for my Austrian collection. This is the 20th hussar regiment in my possession, but perhaps the most important because Austrian hussars have to be the hussars of all hussars, don't they?

The regiment before being based

I chose the Hessen-Homberg regiment because I liked the mix of colours - light blue, bright green and red. 

Strangely it wasn't until I was half way through the first three figures that the realisation that I was still painting red trousers struck me!


This completes the light division that comprises of the hussars, the Grenz Sankt-George's Regiment, Number 6 and a horse battery, which will appear in a parade shortly.

This finishes the Austrian Napoleonic project...maybe…although I was thinking today that a few battalions of grenadiers wouldn’t go amiss...

Because the box contains 14 figures rather than the 12 figure I usually have in my cavalry units, these two loose figures can either be used as a part of the unit to form a large regiment (Austrian light cavalry regiments were large anyway), or can be detached as skirmishers or videttes. 

Sunday saw us play a Spanish Civil War game using one of our group's beautiful collection. Keith at Bydand Blog has a better recollection of the events than me so I will refer to his description here, while I just post some eye candy that differs from his. (Note that the majority of images shown here are supplied by John L. who had a more central position in the game than me).
















































14 comments:

  1. Very nice Austrian Hussars Mark and the close-up shots of the SCW game by John are pretty good - I included a few he sent me in my report but as I had 78(!) of my own, I did request he limit the number that he sent me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my images came out a bit dark...because I was on the side of the table facing the light...and I didn't have the time to correct them in PhotoShop so I made use of John's shots where we had duplicated ones.

      Delete
  2. A fine units of Hussars there Mark and you've really got to love the bright and varied colours that they used:)! Lovely photos of the SCW game too, to augment Keith's recent post. So much to enjoy and take in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Steve, I was tossing up which unit to do and this one had the broadest range of colours.

      Delete
  3. Colorful and beautiful hussars Mark...and impressive SCW game pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondrous work on the Hussars. Yes, please a parade! TheScw game looks fantastic. Overall a good weeks gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. There will be a parade...Friday is a holiday here so I should be able to find some time.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful hussar unit Mark, and those colours do work well together as you point out. Nice to see some photos of the SCW game from your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that parrot green coat and red pants really makes them pop. The light blue shako just tops it off.

      Delete
  6. One cannot escape red pants it seems. But great looking cav all the same. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is no escape to red pants....and more and more and more to come!

      Delete
  7. Hurrah! for Hussars Mark…
    These are beauties…
    Lovely pictures from the Spanish Civil War game…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. A wonderfully gaudy uniform...helps to brighten up our miserably wet winter.

      Delete