Sunday 1 January 2023

It’s the New Year….Wahoooo!

🍾   HAPPY NEW YEAR!   🎉

It has got to be better than last year, right? Or better than the last three years for that matter.

Reflecting on the year just passed it has been remarkably productive hobby-wise with eleven projects worked on, five of which were carried over from last year. 

The carry over projects were:

  • The Franco-Prussian War Prussians
  • The American Civil War dismounted cavalry*
  • The Swedish Napoleonic*
  • The Great Paraguayan War*
  • The terrain tiles*
New projects were:

  • French AWI*
  • American AWI*
  • Franco-Prussian War French
  • Russian Napoleonic cavalry expansion*
  • Prussian Napoleonic cavalry expansion
  • Aztecs
Seven of those projects (marked * above) have been seen through to their conclusion…well as much as any wargaming project has a conclusion.

Broken down the projects were made up as follow:


Consolidated Points by Project

%


Item Count by Project


Yearly Totals

Project

Points


Foot

Mtd

Guns

EQ

Scratch


Year

Total

Variance %

FPW Prussian 

3150

27


468

73

8

0



Russian Napoleonic

1025

9


17

90

4

0



2014

5205

-

Great Paraguayan War

630

5


64

12

11

8



2015

5843

12.26

AWI American

1355

12


237

9

5

3



2016

12125

107.51

American Civil War

215

2


21

5

6

0



2017

10730

-11.51

AWI French

885

8


155

10

1

0



2018

13060

21.71

Swedish Napoleonic

2130

19


382

15

7

0



2019

12140

-7.04

Scratch Built Items

1070

9


0

0

0

0

40


2020

7990

-34.18

Aztec

150

1


30

0

0

0



2021

11715

46.62

FPW French

270

2


54

0

0

0



2022

11510

-1.75

Prussian Napoleonic

630

5


0

63

0

0







11510

100


1428

277

42

11

40






I almost matched last year’s count, in fact in terms of the total number of figures completed I was slightly ahead since last year’s total featured a large proportion of scratch built items.

Graphically the output looks like this:

In terms of numbers of games the count was also down, from 18 games last year to 14 this year. For me the cause of the downturn in games was the result of three factors: a complex year at work, COVID restrictions at the start of the year, then health issues with one of our hosts. The result was that in the first six months of the year I played only four games (and none between mid-January and mid-May).

As for 2023, I have only two projects on the books: a small expansion of the Russian Napoleonic infantry (half a dozen battalions of grenadiers) and the completion of the Franco-Prussians. Of the latter there are only three regiments of hussars, two horse batteries and some generals to do for the Prussians, but the French really can’t be started until the plastic infantry are released.

Outside of those two projects I have no inspiration for new armies and I certainly do not need any further expansion to existing collections. I have said it before (pretty much every year for the last five years at least) that storage is now a real issue and after adding another 1,700 figures this year the issue is even worse. I did make moves to address this over a year ago by preparing to sell off my old Foundry French and Prussian armies for 1870, but I got distracted…must look at that more seriously…so if anyone is interested in 500+ Prussians and 250+ French let me know! 

I think this year will be one to concentrate on gaming rather than collecting.


12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Mark!

    As always, your productivity at the painting desk is gobsmackingly other worldly. 11,000+ Painting Points? I cannot even get my head around such a large number. It is akin to visualizing what a trillion of anything is. If you put as much energy into gaming as painting in 2023, I would not be surprised to see you reach 100 games.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to say that you are no slug when it comes to painting Jonathan! Your own total must be pretty high, and your game count must be really impressive…

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you and yours Mark. Fingers crossed you get to play more games in 2023. If I based my lead mountain, I honestly don't know where I'd store it all, as space is already at a premium as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I could create more storage by sorting out the garage. It would mean putting a shed in the back yard to hold the lawn mower and the garden tools, which is quite doable, but the money is committed elsewhere for the next few months. Plus retirement and possible downsizing is not too far away now (608 days if all goes to plan…not that I am counting, of course), so continuing expansion is probably unwise.

      Delete
  3. In spite of the gaming being down slightly, there was certainly enough in there and a lot of variety. Are you sure you won't regret selling those Foundry, if you decide to do so? I wish I had been around when you were selling those Hinchliffe Russians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don’t have any qualms about seeing the older FPW figures. I have completely replaced them with the new figures and it will free up nine storage trays!

      Delete
  4. Another solid year Mark but I think I agree with the sentiments of your final line! (Must admit, I was surprised your game count was so low for this year, I thought mine was a bit poor at 30!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t make most of JB’s Friday night games and that accounts for probably ten or so and no Tarawera cuts out five.

      Delete
    2. Yes I had taken your normal Friday night absences into account, but not Tarawera ra. And of course, although I rarely attend the Sunday games, in a normal year that would equate to 25 or so, whereas obviously in the last couple of years, those have been greatly reduced too....
      I do wonder if Tarawera is a thing of the past, sadly.....

      Delete
    3. It would be nice to think that we could squeeze in one more Tarawera…

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Mark…
    Your productivity never fails to amaze me… I suspect that even when you ‘slow down’ you will still continue to out paint most of us…
    Here’s to a less fraught future…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I am really do not have any inspiration for new armies at the moment. A less complicated year would be most welcome…so is retirement which is only 607 days away now.

      Delete