Saturday 3 September 2022

For King and Parliament

 Friday night saw a gathering to play a game with our collective toys. A pike and shot game using For King and Parliament rules.

Keith and I took on the other three. I commanded four units of Dutch cavalry while Keith had five units of foot and two guns.



Above, Keith’s initial deployment and below, my deployment to his right.



The fighting started on the right, where the Swedish cavalry attacked my cavalry. They managed to disorder, but not break me.





I managed to hold on and eventually destroyed the Swedes and rallied back. When the Swedish cavalry withdrew to reform my troopers gallantly rode forward, catching the Swedes in the the rear.


But when I failed to score any hits, the Swedes turned and destroyed me.

On the opposite flank the enemy cavalry was rampant and destroyed Keith’s guns and a unit of pike (I didn’t manage to get any images of that fight but doubtless Keith has a bunch of pictures on his blog). In the centre the infantry battled it out.




In the end we won…only because we had one coin left in our stack and they had lost all their coins. But the result didn’t really matter…five of us had a fun evening of banter, food and drink…and moved a few toys around a table












20 comments:

  1. Looks like a great gaming session for you all and a close run thing for you and Keith. Terrific seeing your pike & shot armies out for battle. Do you play FKaP often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s my first time with KAaP, but Keith had played it with more regularity…I can’t get to the Friday games adds often as I would like!

      Delete
  2. Great AAR! One question though; you mentioned Keith might have photos on his blog. You mentioned the same a few posts earlier. Would you be able to provide a url for his blog then. Sadly I have no idea how to find it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith’s blog is found here http://1808534.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. Some nice pics there Mark and I dont mind that you failed to record my ignominious drubbing at the hands of Chris's cavalry! It was a poor evening of card turning on my part, with a bit more luck, I should have taken out another couple of units on my half of the field

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth I was so tied up at my end I didn’t really see what was happening up the other end until quite late in the game.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting game, great troops and terrain as well. Your cunning moves followed by complete disasters in dice are replays of a lot of my experiences. Good you got a game in amongst friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean six attempt to turn over a card of eight or higher…and the highest was six!

      Delete
  5. I have FK&P in the pile, along with all the coins and a mat, but have yet to convince my group to give them a go. How did you find it on your first run through? I have never heard a bad word against them or To The Strongest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really a fan of the grid games…seems a bit like checkers to me, but it makes a fun Friday game.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking pics. I like the way the grid on the mat fades away unless looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much that at times it was hard to see the grid! Mind you only the corners were marked with a +.

      Delete
  7. Excellent looking game with some fine pics of good looking figures. "Banter, food and drink…" and enjoying a shared hobby; superb!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The social aspect is 90% of the event for me, figures just make it pretty.

      Delete
  8. Great looking game, such a splendid period!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely looking game and some wonderful shots there too:). The rules never grabbed me and as for the period, I've moved forward towards the Glorious Revolution as my preferred P&S option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the period but I don’t get the Pike and Shot armies out enough.

      Delete
  10. That looked like a fun game Mark…
    As you say the result comes second to the fun of playing toy soldiers with your chums.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete