Thursday 12 May 2022

Savolaks Regimente, Third and Fourth Battalions

Following on from the first two battalions of this regiment that were completed in April, here at the next two battalions to close out the regiment.

Again these are done as tiny units in line with the orders of battle that only seem to show two companies of each battalion present with the colours.




Also shuffling off the basing table is the first battalion of the 5th Westphalian Infantry Regiment No. 53. Formed in 1860 this regiment fought in Denmark in 1864 where it was involved in the storming of the redoubt at Dybbøl. It was engaged with some distinction in the 1866 in South Germany against the Federal forces. In 1870 it formed a part of 14th Division, VII Corps and fought at Spicheren, Borny, Gravelotte and the Siege of Metz. 




12 comments:

  1. Superb mix of yellow and grey colors, truly splendid Swedish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. Yellow is such a difficult colour to work with, but it always looks so good.

      Delete
  2. What a glorious excuse (and I mean reason) for the sets of standards! Very nice work on the Swedes and the Prussians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More lovely units there Mark and I must admit the yellow and black flags are very striking against the grey uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the simple Swedish flags are very appealing.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Mark, and some lovely curling work on those flags as well. It really makes them look as though they are flapping around in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I hate it when flags are to static. That said the frugal side of me prevents me from folding and crinkling purchased flags too much!

      Delete
  5. More nice work on both collections Mark and I totally agree about "straight" flags. Funny you mention purchased flags - I am too mean to do that, as you know, but I received some Flags of War (I think) in the 20mm SCW figures. I applied one of the Nationalist flags tonight and to be honest, the higher quality, heavier paper was harder to work with than my usual copy and paste off the internet and print at work on standard A4 method - I think I actually prefer the way I normally do it to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do a bit of both. Of course it helps to have the access to high quality laser printers at work. I also find that a number of the commercially available flags are too big.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking toys Mark…
    The Swedish flags are indeed very striking… and work well with the grey and yellow of the uniforms…
    And the Prussians are…. Very Prussian.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The Swedish flags are remarkably simply, but very effective. I always remember a description of the Prussian advance across the battlefield as oil stain on the ground - seemed an apt description.

      Delete