Wednesday 17 November 2021

Grenadier Bataillon von Minnigerode

This week I have added the next unit of my AWI Hessian force, the Grenadier Bataillon von Minnigerode.

Formed in January 1776 from the grenadier companies of the Erbprinz, von Ditfourth, von Lossberg, and von Knyphausen fusilier regiments and commanded by Friedrich Ludwig von Minnigerode the battalion fought at Long Island, White Plains, Fort Mercer and Monmouth Court House. Renamed von Löwenstein  in 1780 after its new commander, Obristlieutenant Wilhelm von Löwenstein, it went on to participate in the Siege of Charleston.

Each stand on this unit represents a separate company:

Von Ditforth, with yellow facings
Von Lossberg, with orange facings

Von Knyphausen, with black facings.

Erbprinz with crimson facings

And then with all four companies formed in a line.



I have also completed three mounted generals that will command my little Hessian force.






16 comments:

  1. Lovely work. When I do the AWI, the Hessians will be up on the list just so I can do the Jagers & Grenadiers. I have 'miter envy'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more grenadiers…just three battalions of musketeers and a gun set to go now.

      Delete
  2. They look great Mark. Isn't it nice when you get to paint four different facing colours in the same unit? I'm more used to seeing that in converged grenadier battalions, so facing colours by company is definitely new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have assumed that the various converged companies were kept as distinct sub-units within the battalion.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work Mark and it reminds me to vary the facings when I come to do my Grenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Mark - between us, we will certainly have plenty of "Heeshans" as I have heard it pronounced by the Rebels! I think I have my own versions of most of the regiments mentioned in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I tried to pick units that I am not doing as musketeers.

      Delete
  5. Impressive details Mark, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The grenadier battalion looks splendid Mark…
    I love the look of the mixed companies/facings.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Sadly the light was poor and the leggings on Von Knyphausen came out much more yellow than they really are.

      Delete
  7. Coming along nicely Mark.
    A lovely looking unit.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. I have just stared the Hessian artillery that is a really nice set.

      Delete