Tuesday 18 August 2020

New Terrain Project

As the number of Great Paraguayan War units begin to mount up, I have decided there is a need for some terrain to fight over. 

As always for me the first stop for terrain items is buildings, but from what I have read most of the actions were fought away from major settlements, but why should that stop me from making up some small towns, right?

From the few images I have managed glean from books and the web most of the structures were pretty rustic, in fact bordering on primitive with lots of thatch and rough timber. But I like rustic because it mean I can work fairly freely and that mistakes can be easily passed off.

The first thing any town needs is a church. I found a few images of churches of the region and most of the images show an ornate face with a rustic building behind rather like this one.

Other buildings I want is a signal station, rather like this one:

And some smaller structures like these images:

 


While I like the idea of these, I also have the idea of a something a bit more substantial, something that will be a a focal point in a game, maybe a Catholic mission with a church, a mission house and a school in a walled or fenced area. Using the first photograph in this post and this one below, I have worked up into the design that follows the photo.





That design then morphs into the cardboard shape below, part assembled without roofs.




This will be a bit of a slow build with bits added in between other tasks.

14 comments:

  1. This will be a magnificent church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reference material and the church should look superb once finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It is starting to take a bit more shape now.

      Delete
  3. Great start Mark! Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I have done a bit more today. I will post an update on the weekend.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful building. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s coming along nicely Mark...

    I have wondered that the reason Paraguayan buildings look so battered and run down is because they have been stamped on by hundreds of Argentinians ,Brazilians and Uruguayans...
    They probably looked quaint before the war....

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right there. I will do this one as a slightly shabby mission church.

      Delete
  6. Very nice as always Mark...looking forward to seeing the next progress report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that i will be able to get quite a bit more done on Friday and over the weekend since I can’t go anywhere.

      Delete
    2. An added bonus will be a lot of the S American architecture will fit in very well in the Peninsula - and also Italy if we ever have reason to fight there!

      Delete
    3. The Spanish colonial style does have its differences though, much as the French colonial style (as can be seen in Vietnam) does. I have a reasonably sized Italian collection that has seen dual service in Spain if you recall our Carlist War games.

      Delete