Thursday 19 September 2024

Paint Your Wagon

Say the names Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood and you think of tough guy films like The Dirty Dozen, the Killers, Dog Day, Dirty Harry, Rawhide, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Ungorgiven, or a host of spaghetti westerns of the 1960s. Between them these two actors contributed to more than 240 films or TV shows (and some of those TV shows ran into hundreds of episodes), between 1950 and today. Marvin died in 1987 aged 63, while Eastwood continues to work at 94.

Given their tough guy images I have always found it odd to think that in 1969 the two of them appeared in the musical comedy film Paint Your Wagon. Even stranger for me is that fact that the song from the film "Wand'rin Star" where Marvin sings in this gravelly voice "...I was born under a wand'rin star...", should be a number 1 hit in the UK for three consecutive weeks in March 1970.

What has this to do with wargames, figure painting, making terrain or anything else I usually write about? Well nothing really. I just needed a title for this post and when I thought of Paint Your Wagon it sent me down one of those memory rabbit holes.

What this post is really about is to show this nice French Napoleonic supply wagon that I finished on Monday. I had been looking at this model on the Perry site for some time now and it has been added and removed from my orders half a dozen times. The hull is a nicely detailed resin casting that needed minimal cleaning.





It is fabulously over loaded with all kinds of clutter, trunks, chests, boxes, bags, blanket rolls and no doubt a fair amount of loot.  It comes with a removable cover.






There is a vivandiere and a rather grim faced driver seated at the front. 


This piece will feature at the centre of a game in the not too distant future.






2 comments:

  1. Lovely little model and very well painted, like the idea you can have it covered or not, very handy for different scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. It's a fun piece to be sure. I have a number of these fun sets in the queue.

      Delete