Sunday 8 September 2024

Adding to the Terrain Tiles

My decision to extend my wargames table from 5 feet by 9 feet  to 6 by 10, has presented a problem with my terrain tiles. More correctly the problem is that by expanding the table by just one foot on each axis increases the number of tiles needed to cover the table by fifteen and with my existing inventory is insufficient to cover the table without having a river or stream on every table. So I need to increase the number plain and plain with road tiles by 20.

So I ordered 20 tile MDF frames and the supplier sent me 23 (overruns I presume) for the same price.

In all I made 14 plain tiles, 8 road tiles (two of which are sunken roads) and one beach tile. Here is the whole set laid out on the garage floor.


One of the things that terrain tiles are great for is creating features below the surface, such as rivers, streams, ponds, etc, or hills and ridges that rise above the surface.  What is often not created are those dips in the ground that can give a more rolling terrain. In my first batch of tiles I did five of them with slight dips in them in, but just small ones, a swale if you like. So this time I decided to do something a bit more substantial. I made four of my plain pieces to do just that. The dip is not deep - my tiles are 20mm deep overall and at its deepest the dip is only 13mm below the surface, so it is just a dip rather than a gully. I made them so that they can interface with other dip sections and run for 600mm or more. Two of them have a dip the runs the full length of the tile while two are 'end' pieces, so that they can form one long dip, or two short ones running in from the edge.

I am quite pleased with the way they turned out and at some point may do another five or six of them. Although they don't show up particularly well when photographed, you can see the profile of the dip in the stack shown below.


The only tile that is worth photographing individually is the beach tile with a rocks feature tgat extends out into the water. The addition of this one tile gives me six beach tiles and that means I can now have a beach that runs the full width of the table.




Also complete are the first three of eight small fields that will lay on top of the tiles, helping to conceal joints








18 comments:

  1. My back aches at the thought of a 6' deep table Mark! I'm sure it will all look really impressive with your terrain tiles, especially the beach ones which are superb:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our common Sunday games are played on an even wider table - 2 metres (6'8") - and the number of times that that one unit is just beyond reach is remarkable!

      Delete
  2. All up to you normal high standards Mark....I particularly like the beach tile, of course...the water looks very natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith...it's the old toilet paper and PVA technique.

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of undulating terrain with a few dips in it. I have often thought that is one aspect that is never really properly represented in that wargames terrain always seems to go from flat to difficult or rough, with nothing in between. That additional beach section looks great, as does it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth in most cases you probably on want one or two dips on a table. The issue I have with what I have done here is that because they are a single direction they will always run square to a table edge which is limiting, so if I do any others I might try to see how I could run them on a diagonal.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Mark…
    I particularly like the water effect…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I am really pleased with the water effect and it is so quick and simple ...and cheap.

      Delete
  5. Very good. Who do you get your tiles from, just out of interest? Cheers, Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I designed the frames myself using a graphic drawing application then had a local company laser cut them for me - total cost per unit about NZ$ 9-10, plus about one cumulative hour of work.

      Delete
  6. Great idea with the dips. Should add juuuust that little something extra.
    I love these tiles. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to expand on the dips idea and have ordered another batch of frames, some of which may be used to make trench tiles after being inspired by your own work.

      Delete
    2. Cool. Do them really fast so I can steal any good ideas. 😀

      Delete
    3. Borrow with pride...I certainly have...but I am struggling with a potential layout for trenches...trying to figure out how to make it work with 12"x12" squares.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work all over as always but especially the beach tile which is splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete