Friday 28 April 2023

An Addition to the Library

The recent release of the Ottoman Napoleonic figures by the Perrys stirred up up my desire to expand the Ottoman Turks that are allies for my British in Egypt army. That expansion has always been an intention, but the only manufacturer up to now with a broad range of figures has been Brigade Games, but with an eye watering landed cost of more than $NZ90.00 for an eighteen figure unit, I had delayed the expansion indefinitely. But with the Perry coming into the market the price for the same sized unit is a little under $NZ41.00 and with an expected broader range of figures, things are looking a bit more promising. There is even the potential to look at using the Turks against the Russians in the Caucuses.

However, before I launch into a whole new project, I will wait an see how the range develops, but in the meantime I placed an order for a book from Caliver Books that I have been considering for some time, Chris Flaherty's "The Napoleonic Ottoman Army". It took a while to get here, due to the inefficiencies of the post-COVID postal systems, but now I have it.

In large format it is a beautifully presented book with hundreds of colour illustrations that provide all the uniform details needed by a wargamer to paint Ottoman figures.





My only complaint is the lack of organisation of the content. Maybe it is that in my professional life I edit and publish aviation documentation that has to be clear, precise and have a logical flow, but in this book (and many other similar books for that matter) there is a need to flick confusingly to and fro across many pages to find the details of what is a confusing subject to begin with. Often at the end of your search you are even more confused. Nonetheless it is a starting point.


14 comments:

  1. Reading this you may have planted the seed for another project I didn't know I wanted. An expanding Perry range is always tempting. I remember there was that fellow at AWC who had an Ottoman army which I always looked forward to playing against. It was like trying to field Spanish every other weekend, but to his credit he never got dispirited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly lots of options with the Ottomans and lots of colour too. I can vaguely picture that army, but can't remember who owned it.

      Delete
  2. Shame about the organisation, but the colour plates shown do look rather nice. What amazes me is that a lot of the 'uniforms' hadn't really changed since the 16thC, so for smaller scale figures they can cover a very wide time period, if you over look some minor armaments issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plates are duperb and you are right most of the dress goes back two centuries. Even the units raised specifically under European standards have uniforms that have an Arabian Nights look to them.

      Delete
  3. Any picture book is better than no picture book. Looks detailed enough to be useful, at least for someone like me who has nothing on the shelf that covers the subject. Thank you for showing the illustrations and the fact that layout is not perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping a bit more guidance to the formation of the army.

      Delete
  4. Very nice-looking illustrations in that book Mark - you don't think your confusion has anything to do with our advancing years? Having seen some of the commercial pilots, I would suspect things have to be as simple as possible for them to follow, at their age :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now now, Keith, just because I become a pensioner in 54 days time doesn't mean I am losing my marbles...although I did lose a ball bearing the other day. The real problem with the Ottomans is that the Jannisaries were disbanded in the 1830s and the sultan decreed that all records of there existence be destroyed, presumably so that they wouldn't reform, so information on their structure is very confusing.

      If you ask any aviation engineer he will tell you that aircrew should consist of a pilot and a dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches anything.

      Delete
  5. Nice pictures even if the organisation is a bit iffy! Very tempted by Ottomans, really for the 16th/17th century but I'm sure, from the little research I have done, I could use them for later!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that many of the figures can be used in previous centuries.

      Delete
  6. Interesting book Mark, might have to check it out. But for almost the same reasons....I like things organised! There's an Osprey due out in August I think. The Perry figs seem to be good through to the 1840's which is right up my street. Look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. Yes most if the figures can be used up to the dissolution of the Jannisaries.

      Delete
  7. I completely agree - it's a bit unorganised, and try finding out the colours of Ottoman drums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to make some sense of it now, but there is quite a bit of flicking forward and back to find what I want.

      Delete