Monday 6 November 2023

French Heavy Artillery

In the structure of the artillery within a French Army Corps, there was a corps reserve. In all but the 1st and 6th Corps the reserve consisted of two light field batteries (batterie de 4), two light horse batteries (batterie de 4 à cheval) and two heavy batteries (batterie de 12). Each pair of batteries was formed into a division (for the want of a better term) and commanded by a chef d'escadron and the whole reserve was in turn commanded by a colonel. In the reserves of the 1st and 6th Corps there were two horse artillery divisions.


The light and horse batteries were equipped with La Hitte Canon de campagne de 4 rayé modèle 1858 (often called a 4-pound gun, but actually threw a 4-kilogram round) and the heavy batteries were armed with the Canon de 12 La Hitte, modèle 1859 (again a 12-kilogram not a 12-pound round).



I like these guns. They are big and meaty. I remember seeing a damaged Canon de 12  from 1870 in the arcade inside the Musée de l'Armée in Paris that had been struck square on the barrel and there was a large scar stretching back from the canon mouth - I know I have a photo of it somewhere, but can't find I right now.



These two sets represent batteries de 12 of Captain Humann's 11th Battery, 5th Regiment and Captain Carbonnel's 10th Battery, 15th Regiment.


I have swapped some of the crew out with crew from the light field batteries to get some variety within the crews.

14 comments:

  1. Outstanding painting and excellent basing for the guns and crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I enjoyed these. It is disappointing in a way that there were only two batteries in the corps - I could happily paint more of these sets.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Mark…
    They certainly look like they could ruin someone’s day…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. They surely would mess things up.

      Delete
  3. Fine work as always and nice to have crew variation for sure:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to make a bit more variety by swapping figures, but many of the poses are made for the smaller guns and just wouldn't fit.

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking big guns, nicely animated crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I agree they have lovely animation.

      Delete
  5. Yes those are big guns. Interesting about the a actual rounds being heavier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Yes almost double the weight of the traditional 12lb gun.

      Delete
  6. I really like the size of these, they are very impressive. Great work on them again. There were quite a few artillery pieces arrayed in the courtyard in the Musee de l'Armee from memory. I'll definitely have to head back and take it all in again as it has been twenty years since my last visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. The Musée is quite irresistible don't you think? Of the six times I have been to Paris I've visited it every time and each time I have seen a different aspect. I'd love to go back again, but there are so many other places I want to go to...

      Delete
  7. Excellent work as always Mark - I know you are a big fan of the Perry "vignette" approach to gun crews and you can see why from these examples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Keith. Yes I think they make some of the best animated gun crews around which makes them a joy to work with. I still have another seven sets to do for this collection.

    ReplyDelete