Saturday 8 October 2022

Prussian Dragoons

The second unit in my Napoleonic Allied cavalry expansion is the Brandenburg Dragoon Regiment, No 5.

I have done these, as I will do for all three of the Prussian dragoon regiments that I am doing in this expansion, in the Litewka, or full coat. I have done this unit with three stands of dragoons and one of mounted volunteer jägers. In 1813 there were many thousands of volunteers that joined the service and if they had a horse and could ride, they were grouped into mounted volunteer jäger detachments and many were attached to existing regiments, adopting the same facing colours as the regiment to which they were attached. A second dragoon regiment will also have a detachment of mounted jägers, but the third will not.

The regiment in line with the jägers on the left.

I decided to do the Brandenburgers because they had black facings and it makes a nice variation from the red facings of many of the regiments. Future regiments in this expansion will have one with white and one with red facings.


I quite enjoyed the simplicity of the mounted jägers - dark green with black belts - and if there a any figures left over when I have done all of the figures I may create one or two independent squadrons of jägers.


The mounted jäger detachment (and I just realised when I see this image that I forgot to paint the metalwork on their bridles doh!)


21 comments:

  1. Fine, fine work there Mark and those sculpts are lovely. A nice bit of history too, which is always appreciated:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. They are very nice sculpts indeed…next unit in a week or two.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Mark. The Prussian dragoon uniform really is quite elegant in its simplicity. Most dragoon uniforms were quite simple I suppose, but the Prussians seem especially straightforward. The jagers look great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. The facings only show on the collar and there is no lace. Simple and probably cheap to make, the uniform is the essence of Prussian frugality

      Delete
  3. I figured these would be another addition to your FPW collection. I forgot about your Napoleonic collection. Super looking dragoons. I always liked the look of the medium blue coats on Prussian dragoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. There are more FPW dragoons to come, but not in the current lead/plastic pile. They should appear before year’s end.

      Delete
  4. Great start on the cavalry. Mine are still in thier boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must start, they are great figures to work with and lots of arm variations to give variety…you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  5. Those look lovely.... great stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff as ever Mark....I struggled with "bridges" for a bit but a quick look at the image revealed it was supposed to read bridles! Bloody auto correct eh 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes bloody auto-correct. Every so often I get so annoyed with it I turn it off, but on the whole it is a useful tool so it doesn’t stay off for long!

      Delete
  7. Not to be picky, but I think a "Kollet" was the tailed coat. The full coat affair worn by many Prussians in 1813-15 was known as a "Litewka", meaning a Lithuanian-style coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are absolutely right John…I should have know better…my fault for writing this late at night! I gave changed the text in the post.

      Delete
  8. Great looking cav. Though the second from left is not waving the sword above his head: he must have low morale. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Well I guess you can only so long you can hold a sword above your head before you need a rest…or maybe he has had one too many tipples of schnapps!

      Delete
  9. Lovely new toys Mark…
    As you said a nice but practical looking uniform… and more sky blue.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sky blue…I saw a nice blazer once in a shop in London in that colour and wanted to buy it, but was vetoed by domestic control…but it wasn’t the colour that was the problem, but the price!

      Delete
  10. Truly superb cavalry, impressive details...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. There are two more of these to come,

      Delete