Sunday 3 January 2021

First Game for 2021

 On New Year’s Day Nick and I played a game to try out “Under the Lily Banners” rules.

We played a scenario “A Knock at the Door” one of three from the 4Play wargaming scenarios booklet “The Baby Wore Red” the  Battle of Walcourt August 27th 1689. The scenario sees four Anglo/Dutch battalions and a field gun formed outside the walled town of Walcourt, while three small German units deployed within the town. The walls of the town were in poor repair and not rated as fortifications, merely hard cover. Opposing the Anglo/Dutch was a French force of eight battalions.

Both commanders were rated as plodders that made activation of our units difficult.

The initial deployment, French on the left, the English in the distance
The French deployment 
Walcourt and its defenders

Both of us rolled badly to activate our units (a situation that would plague me for the whole game), but after a couple of turns our lead units managed to shuffle into range of each other. The first fire did minor damage to both our units.

But next move the French plodder plodded slightly better than the English plodder and the French managed to bring the fire of two battalions to bear against one. The English suffered heavy losses and became shaken.

The English battalion was able to recover and I was able to bring more units into the line and the fire fight continued.



Meanwhile the French right wing advanced against the town.



The positions at the height of the action, about the time we broke for lunch

Soon the French numbers began to tell (assisted by my inability to roll well enough for activation to move more that one unit a turn) and the extreme right English battalion routed.


Then the French had their turn of running away, with two units routing and one retreating (sadly I have no pictures of that) but it didn’t take long for the rot set in and a second English unit took to its heals, then a third was destroyed on a combat.

Around the same time the French broke into the town.


Entry to the town was the key victory condition fir the French...not that it really mattered since three-quarters of my army was in rout or destroyed. 

The table at the conclusion of the game

So how did the rules work out? Pretty good. We made a few errors, but they worked really well and captured the feel of the age. All in all a good way to spend a few hours on a hot summer’s day.


21 comments:

  1. Well done for getting your game in so early. Sorry about your result - glad I'm not the only wrongun with the dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did OK with some of my dice rolls...I had one brilliant turn of firing, but then rolled poorly fior activation.

      Delete
  2. The first one is a splendid one Mark, love the gorgeous armies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. Bonne année to you and your family...and stay safe.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for putting up such a nice looking AAR:). Shame the die Gods didn't support you though:(. The figures look lovely and have helped me to decide whether to keep my LoA unpainted lead or not, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, although I cannot take credit for the armies and the set up since I provided only a few figures. The vast majority of the figures and all the terrain belongs to Nick.

      Delete
  4. Nice report Mark and glad the rules worked well - Nick has been very keen to try Under the Lilly banners for several years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game worked well. I think it is more suited to one on one games, maybe four players, but for big multiplayer games there may be problems.

      Delete
    2. Yes, having played today I totally agree - I liked the rules but two or three players on each side all rolling see how many different units they could have orders for could become a bit of a nightmare....although we could try it and see I guess!

      Delete
  5. Nice AAR and lovely figures Mark. Are the rules slanted more toward to Western Europe, or would they adapt well to Renaissance conflicts in the East do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. nick is a master painter and leaves me for dead! I think the rules will be suited for eastern or western regions but are aimed at the later-17th century rather that the Renaissance as such.

      Delete
  6. A lovely looking game Mark...

    It’s a very pretty period... I remember being introduced to it via Mark Allan’s articles from way back...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is indeed a pretty period...big hair, lace, bright colours...it a bit like the ‘80s really.

      Delete
  7. Nice looking armies and a hard fought scenario, thanks for the AAR and eye candy. Also good to see a French win (I'm the Francophile in our local group).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great looking game. Have we seen this collection before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few of the figures were mine. All the rest were Nick’s.

      Delete
  9. Very cool! Lovely looking game and miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. I wish I could take credit for the painting, but only a small number of the figures on the table were mine.

      Delete
  10. Gentlemen,
    Your reproduction of the scenario was remarkable, I did a double take when I looked at the pictures. I thought it was my own table! You did considerably better as the French Nick, than I. Lovely to see it on the table and, it sounded very like 17th century warfare as described in the AAR. Wonderful effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barry. All the credit must go to Nick, whose beautiful armies adorn the table. Only two small units of my WSS Bavarians were roped in to make up numbers.

      I hope you are staying safe in these difficult times.

      Delete