Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Villages for the Franco-Prussian War - Part 7: The First of the Alsace Houses

The inspiration for the first building of this set is this house from the village of Morsbronn:

My interpretation is a little different, but I hope it keeps the general feel.







The wooden balcony at the front and the open verandah at the back are made from plasticard and the scalloped roof tiles are a plasticard sheet - the scallops are a little over sized, but that was the only size available.

I haven’t completed work on the base yet because I have yet to decide how the village will fit together. Once a few more buildings are finished, and there will be five or six in total, I will sort the basing out.

16 comments:

  1. That certainly does capture the feel Mark! I'm sure it will look even better when based and the other buildings are completed too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Building number 2 is about half finished and number 3 ready to start.

      Delete
  2. That looks terrific Mark. How fiddly was all that woodwork to do? Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It not as fiddly as I thought it would be, but it does require a very sharp scalpel to cut those pieces out. In hindsight it would have been easier (and probably less wasteful) to build them by laminating thinner strips of plasticard...next time...

      Delete
  3. Another sensational scratch-build!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am really pleased with this one...have been meaning to make some models from this region for some time.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful piece of modelling Mark, really super work on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. The village is taking shape now.

      Delete
  5. One would never think that this is a scratch-build. Just fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid bit of terrain work, I really like the texture between the timber framing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete