Sunday 24 December 2023

Over the Hills...A Couple of Christmas Eve Projects

For many years now I have made a habit of not leaving the property on Christmas Eve. It's just too crazy out there. It was bad enough doing the food shop yesterday - we went out as early as we could, but it was chaotically busy and as usual the price of the great New Zealand Christmas standards of strawberries, raspberries and cherries were through the roof. Thankfully we planted some raspberry canes a couple of years back and we will be feasting on homegrown raspberries and blueberries tomorrow. Most of my chores and tasks were sorted on Saturday and this had left me time to revisit some long neglected projects.

Towards the end of January 2022 I completed the larger part of my terrain tile project. Since then the last five frames have sat unassembled on my desk while I tried to figure out what feature to put into them. In the last few weeks I have thought that I need to have an area of coastline for naval landings. The five frames will be: an estuary linking to existing river sections, three straight beach sections and one end piece.

The basic frame required a unique profile to go from ground level to sea level.

Above are the first two tiles: the estuary on the left and a straight on the right. In this state they will have to remain for a while until the glue has set and some more time is available.

Also on the work plan is a series of hills that will sit on top of the tiles. I decided on this because creating  tiles with hills on them would create too great an inventory and at any rate placing the hill on top of the surface had the added advantage of concealing the joint between the tiles, helping to remove the checkerboard appearance. I had made a sample hill a couple of years ago (below) and that convinced me that this was the way to go.

I had purchased a piece of 4.75mm MDF for the hill bases some time ago and it has been sitting idle ever since, so I marked up an array of sizes and shapes - with one 600mm ridge, a couple 450mm long some at 300mm and some at 200mm. One or two of them are destined to become steep hills.

The pieces were then cut from the sheet with the jigsaw.


Then using the forms as templates the polystyrene was marked out.


Next I rough cut the polystyrene with the wire cutter.


I then angled the edge of one of the bases with a rasp to around 30 degrees, deliberately leaving the edge rough - this roughness will hold the glue better when the felt is fastened at a later stage.


The polystyrene was then glued on to the base and shaped with the wire cutter.


There the project will pause for a few days over Christmas.

These are the first of several terrain oriented projects over summer.

So, as I sit here with the rain pouring down and the Christmas lights blinking in the evening gloom I raise my glass of Pinot Gris and say Merry Christmas to all!





17 comments:

  1. You're a busy guy! What fabric did you use on that hill? It looks like felt, roughened up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. It is a cheap acrylic dark green felt that has been drybrushed first with a lime green, then with yellow, and a little bit of burnt sienna here and there.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mark, in the UK, this week (more than ever before) has been manic at the shops, shopping like the apocalypse is on the way! Glad it’s not just us. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that retail activity is down this year, but I had to go out on Friday to get some gas for the BBQ, what should have taken 20 minutes took two hours...that sorely tested my limited patience!

      Delete
  3. Useful terrain pieces Mark…
    I am hoping to get some new terrain made next year once the work is finished in my cellar… I say cellar but what I mean is underground wargames terrain containment unit 🤣😂🤣

    Have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year..
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to resort to storing most of my terrain items in the roof space. All the best to you Aly and I am looking forward to seeing the snowmen at war.

      Delete
  4. A Merry Christmas to you and yours, Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the remainder of the season is better for you. Some projects that take awhile to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody Blogger strikes agai...back on my phone as my comment "failed to load" using my laptop...been happening a lot recently!
    I managed to pick some home grown strawberries 🍓 before the rain set in for the day, Mark!
    Read a headline saying malls were quiet but supermarkets manic yesterday, so I guess in the so called " cost of living crises" people are spending their money on food rather than 🎁!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I get that error too...I suspect it is some sort of overload issue. I suspect that there aren't too many people holding back spending why I see that in one hour on a Friday more than 600,000 transactions...for a small economy like ours that is pretty significant.

      Delete
  7. A much more pleasant way to spend Christmas Eve than trying to find a parking spot. Lovely work Mark and the hills are looking great. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the chaos of Christmas...got to love it eh? Not! A couple of weeks ago one of the mall car parks here was so congested that drivers were trapped for hours in the resulting traffic jam.

      Delete
  8. Well we did our food shop on Friday and it was very busy in ASDA, a big supermarket chain, but very quiet in Lidl, one of the European discount ones that are very popular here. I too try and avoid driving today, but we had to visit friends, so was rather dreading it. Amazingly it was incredibly quiet and we had the quickest journey ever there and back. Weather very, very mild and wet, so completely un-Xmas like:(.

    So wishing you and yours a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Steve. Remarkably quiet today...just waiting for the in-laws to arrive for lunch🤨

      Delete