Friday 25 August 2023

Zouaves Through the Ages...Well as they appear in my armies from 1830 to 1914 at least...

An exchange of comments with Stew about zouaves in my last post got me thinking about the colour and panache these troops brought to the military forces of the world from the 1830s to 1962. It also made me think that there are quite a few units represented in my wargames armies.

The Zouave, painted by Vincent Van Gogh 1888

In 1830 the French invaded and conquered Algeria under the pretext of a slight to its consul, but by October 1830 much of the invading force had been withdrawn to France and local sources of manpower were sought. The first troops raised were recruited from a Berber tribe, the Zwāwa or Zoudaoua, that had provided soldiers to the previous rulers. From these two battalions of zouaves were formed, each of ten companies, eight of the Zoudaoua and two from French settlers, all under French officers and NCOs. A third battalion was raised in 1838.

In 1840 another type of zouave, the tirailleurs algériens (they were never called zouaves, but the uniform was pretty much the same in all but colour), were formed from the Berber and Arab tribes again under the command of French officers. At that same time the basis for enlistment of the zouaves changed and they were universally recruited from French settlers. In 1852, under the Second Empire, the three battalions of zouaves were expanded into three full regiments, each of three battalions. The tirailleurs would also be expanded to three regiments in 1855.

For twenty-three years after their creation the zouaves developed a solid reputation as hard fighters in the colonial conflicts in North Africa, but it was not until they went to the Crimea in 1853 that they gained real fame. Their flamboyant uniform - volumous red pants (these guys pre-empted MC Hammer by 155 years), short blue jackets piped with yellow, a red fez and white turban - plus their ferocity in battle and the bloody big sword bayonets on the end of their rifles caught the attention of the war correspondents and military observers alike. 

My first zouaves, in chronological order, are the three battalions in my Crimean army, but could easily be used in the 1830s and 1840's.



The Zouaves and Tirailleurs further enhanced their reputation in the Italian War of 1859. It was from the wars in the Crimea and Italy that they captured the imagination of the American militia of the late 1850s. In the Civil War more than 70 regiments fought for the Union and some 25 companies served the Confederacy.

For my ACW armies I have done the 5th and 146th New York.



My next zouave unit is the Bahia Zouaves, a unit of the Brazilian Army in the Great Paraguayan War recruited from freed slaves in Bahia State that served briefly in the Great Paraguayan War.


I created a regiment of three battalions of Tirailleurs algériens that for use in the Franco-Prussian War. These chaps along with the zouaves above can be used in the Crimea, Italy and France although technically the models are all armed with rifled muskets rather than Chassepôts, but I can live with that.



My final unit is a small company of zouaves for use in the opening stages of the Great War.


Zouaves continued their fine reputation through the Great War and fought in the opening stages of the Second World War. Disbanded in 1940 they were reformed in 1945 and continued in French service until the end of the Algerian conflict in 1962.

All in all I have ten units of zouaves and tirailleurs algériens that I use in five conflicts and could be used in many other French colonial conflicts...if I choose to game them.

26 comments:

  1. A lovely collection of Zouaves throughout the ages. Were they generally tirailleur style troops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the strictest sense. In French service they adopted the Chasseur drill, and were among the first troops to receive the rifled musket, but they were pretty much used as assault troops.

      Delete
  2. What a fine display of troops there Mark:)! As always a nice bit of history too and hard to resist these flamboyant chaps in any army for 19thC wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...it was nice to get some of those units out of their boxes.

      Delete
  3. I was vaguely aware of the history of these colourful fighting men after my own dive into ACW when Stew got me to join his own early ACW project (My then collecting the CSA which were then sold to Stew). I did not know though that regiments were formed outside of French and ACW conflicts, nor that their use continued to the early days of the second World War!

    Great post sir and some very cool looking units. I still have some 15/18mm zouaves primed, ready to paint up for Stew somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Dai.I may yet expand the collection by one more unit - the Papal Zouaves that fought in the in Defence of Rome and then in the latter stages of the Franco-Prussian War.

      Delete
    2. Oh that’s right! Then I would have two units!

      Delete
  4. Glad to be of service. Naturally the ACW zouaves are my favorite.
    But! Will I lose ACW cred if I admit that I only have 1 unit of Zouaves and that’s only bc Jonathan gave them to me? 😜
    My excuse is that my stuff is in 15mm and in that size the uniforms don’t pop that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be keen to do some more ACW Zouaves, but don't know if I could justify them.

      Delete
    2. It being the ACW is really the only justification you need. 😀

      Delete
  5. Interesting potted history Mark, a bit like the Ghurkas in British service I guess, although their uniforms were never as flamboyant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so. The difference I suppose is that the Gurkhas are still around.

      Delete
    2. Very true although the majority of the regiments are now in the Indian rather than the British army!

      Delete
  6. looking good mark , i have a brigade zouaves next in the reinforcement after some french line i'm working on at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the battle of Woerth most of the French regiments engaged were zouaves or Turcos - they suffered horrific casualties. Looking forwards to Perry’s doing them (or a conversion pack for ACW plastic zouaves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they did take dreadful losses at Woerth - of the 12,146 engaged across all six regiments 6,044 were lost. Of the 2000 officers and men of the 3rd Zouaves who entered the battle, 1582 were casualties.

      Delete
  8. Great looking units for the gamer's eye candy. Good range in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fine selection of baggy trousered beauties Mark.
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The temptation is there to make some quotation from a MC Hammer song, but it's not really my style of music so I will refrain.

      Delete
  10. Reading the comments I can't wait to see your Papal Zouaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I'll go down that track...that would require a whole bunch of Republican period French...not sure that my nerves will hold for that many French infantry.

      Delete
  11. Excellent post one of the great troop types!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a favourite with me...as you may ave guessed.

      Delete