Thursday 23 February 2017

Russian Napoleonic Dragoons

The latest unit to march off the painting table is this unit of Russian dragoons in greatcoats, from the Perry’s. I actually finished the unit over a week ago, but only just finished the bases last night. In truth I struggled with them.

 

The figures themselves are well detailed as always and with the animation you expect from the Perrys’, but they are just so drab. After painting all those the reds, yellow and blues of the Carlist War, units going back to paint that grey/brown greatcoat was a bit depressing really.





Nonetheless they make a nice unit, although their regimental standard is yet to be awarded to them. I am beginning to look forward to the end of March when I will order the first of two dragoon regiments that will not be in greatcoats.

6 comments:

  1. Outstanding! My eye is so accustomed to seeing the Front Rank Napoleonic cavalry in my own collection that Perry horse look a bit scrawny. I wonder how they compare side-by-side? Lovely sculpts, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They most certainly will be slighter than Front Rank. I have no FR figures to compare. We used to manufacture Front Rank here under license many years ago so I know the figures well and they were always fairly "full" figures.

      Delete
  2. Great work Mark. I must admit I do enjoy the odd great-coated unit as a way to quickly finish a unit or two, even though it feels a little like cheating. Do you still have that superb Hinchliffe Russian Napoleonic army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a battery and two jäger units to do in greatcoat, but I am interspersing them with other painting to dispell the relative tedium of painting greatcoats. The Hinchliffe army went back in the 1990's one time when I was desperate for cash. This project is a way to recreate that army - the Russians remain my favorire Napoelonic army.

      Delete