Tuesday 14 May 2024

Action in the Americas in the 1860s

Last Sunday we fought a multi-player American Civil War game. There were three players per side each with a division of between eight and twelve regiments (of differing size and quality), plus artillery. The objective was the control of a small town, plus a few other objective point in the table. At various random times reinforcements in the form of infantry units could arrive.

I was heavily involved in the centre of the table and didn't pay as much attention to the action to my left or right as I should have so my description of the action needs to be limited to the comments with the pictures below (a number of which were provided by John L), many of which are probably completely out of sequence - because I don't know the sequence!

The day ended with a minor Union victory. 

I hope you enjoy many pictures.

The table before the armies deployed

The Union left

The Union Centre

My boys in the cornfields



Rebel cavalry ride forward

The Reb centre-left

The Reb extreme left


The Rebel cavalry ride through the town 




My troops faced the Rebs opposite the town




Above and below the Irish Brigade advance


Close action...





The Reb cavalry skirmish in the town


The Union guns blaze away





The Rebs swarm through the town.



The Confederate extreme left take the heights, but can't drive the Union infantry

The cavalry, driven from the town, reform


A fresh Union brigade moves to flank the town

The Union left move forward




12 comments:

  1. Looks like a good sized game Mark...the scenery and figures all look great...adding John's close ups in at the appropriate point always takes me quite a bit of time and thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that on this occasion I just loaded all in one hit and then added comments where I could remember the context!

      Delete
  2. A great-looking game Mark. Were most of the figures yours? Those building also look particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe two thirds of the Union troops were mine. The Confederates came from varied collections. The buildings were originally the Military Miniatures ones that I designed now long out of production, although these ones have been heavily customised.

      Delete
  3. I did enjoy the pictures. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plenty of eye candy to enjoy there Mark, so thanks for sharing:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Lots of figures from different players certainly made for an interesting mix of figures.

      Delete
  5. The ACW is the BEST CW,
    nothing is as pretty.
    Games of the ACW,
    the best CW,
    are so nice to see. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I am inclined to agree, I think the various First Carlist War (essentially the first Spanish Civil War) was more colourful, although significantly more vicious.

      Delete
  6. A cracking looking game Mark…
    Plenty action across the whole table by the look of it…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was a great way to spend a cold autumn day.

      Delete