Tuesday 31 October 2017

French in Egypt Books

On the doorstep today, before the hundreds of children swarmed through the street for Halloween, was another parcel. This one contained Charles S. Grant's "Napoleon's Campaign in Egypt".


This is a two volume, hard back work. Volume 1 features the French Army.  Running to 111 pages it  contains a brief history of the campaign from the start of the campaign in 1798 until Bonaparte left Egypt in August 1799, with 51 colour illustrations, many by Bob Marrion, plus maps, black and white drawings, OOBs and uniform details.




Volume 2 covers the British Army and Allies. Slightly longer at 119 pages it follows the action from Bonaparte's departure to the end of the campaign in December 1800. Fifty-three colour and numerous black and white illustrations fill the pages, along with OOBs and maps. If I have any complaints it is that I would have like to seen a bit more detail on the Ottoman armies.




It is a superb book for wargamers by a very well known wargamer writing on a subject for which he clearly has a passion. It is fantastic painting guide and helps to feed my interest in the campaign.

8 comments:

  1. They look good Mark - I have some Redoubt Brits in Round Hats (as per the illustration) for Wellington in India that would not look out of place in Egypt at this time......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they can also be used in Argentina, Copenhagen and in some of the actions in the Caribbean.

      Delete
  2. These are new to me and look like excellent resources for your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been around for a few years, I forget the publication date, but you are right they are an excellent reference. I spent much of last evening pouring over them...in fact I didn't get to bed until well after midnight because I got so wrapped up in them. I think one (or both) will find their way into my bag when I go to France on Sunday.

      Delete
    2. Off for France! That ought to be fun.

      Delete
    3. I wish it was for a longer time - I have a two day user's group meeting in Toulouse. At least I get a rest day after arrival.

      Delete
  3. I've wondered about buying these, but will wait until I know that the project is definitely going to go ahead. I have a number of those Bob Marrion illustrations from an issue of Practical Wargamer. But I am sure there is still plenty of excelent info in the books themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is plenty there. I am particularly keen to understand how the Ottomans are organised. I intend to make them the main opponents for my French.

      Delete