Since the weather on this Labour Day long weekend has been miserably cold and wet, ruining my plans to clean up the garden after a couple of months of neglect, I have started on the first item, the ruins.
The concept I have is based around this image I took at Karnak in 2009.
I like the way that there is a mix of finished and unfinished surfaces on the pillars and walls.
I chose to make the base from foam board. I cut one face off the board and then drew the stone floor with a ball point pen.
I used the same technique to create a raised floor in the centre of the piece and the walls at the front of the model.
I then painted all surfaces with PVA glue to harden up the foamboard surface.
Next was to made some pillars. For these I chose to use wine corks, of which I had a ready supply...a supply built up over a long time...honestly!
I found eight corks about the same size and shape and glued them into pairs as the basic pillar shape.
I also took one cork and cut it in three parts, then tore chunks off them. This will be a collapsed pillar. Four other corks will be used as partial pillar.
To get that rough, broken finish that appears in the first photo on this page, I cut small pieces of thin cork sheeting and glued them to the column.
When all of the pillars have had this applied, I will apply a finish to provide that partly finished look.