Saturday 9 September 2023

American Civil War Artillery

The prospect of the lead pile flattening and the fear that there would be nothing to paint for up to fourteen days had me scurrying to local sources to find something to paint. I like supporting local suppliers as much as I can, but sadly often their cost is one and a half times or higher than that of a private import. But on this occasion I bit the bullet and bought two boxes of Perry plastic ACW artillery.

One box will be used for the Union and other for the Confederacy. This is the first of the Union gun and limber sets, a 10lb Parrott gun.



Doing this set did throw up one unknown fact for me...the lid of the ammunition box, that I had always painted the same colour as the limber, was most commonly covered in a copper sheet. Presumably this was to not only keep the contents dry, but also provide some spark prevention.  I may have to revisit my other limbers now.

My plan is to do each of the three guns for both sides in a different stage of fire - ramming or ready to ram the shot (like this one), sighting the gun and firing.





10 comments:

  1. Nice work as always Mark - are these from Mighty Ape or Kapiti? (or perhaps another source altogether!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Kapiti - he holds better stock and service is brilliant - ordered Monday and delivered Tuesday.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Mark…
    I look forward to seeing the finished battery/batteries.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...two mort Union bsets are finished now, ready for photographing.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Mark. I'll bet that copper lid was cold in winter. We have some nice little hobby shops in Brisbane, but I find that most of the time I'm just buying paint from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would hand been cold indeed - probably why they often used to strap a tarpaulin on top...it must have been a bone shaking ride too

      Delete
  4. Fine work there Mark and a nice mix of poses to, to give variety to the battery. As much as it's good to support local traders, given these straightened times, it is hard to when you can buy stuff much more cheaply on the internet or direct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a former local trader I know how difficult it is to compete with direct sale pricing and I support where I can, but with a distant Scottish heritage seeking the bargain is in the blood!

      Delete
  5. Way to fix a crisis situation of having nothing to paint (I can't relate) by getting some miniatures from the best CW! Nice job!
    good thing to do both sides as then the opposite armies will grow apace. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would catch your attention Stew! It's not like I NEEDED more Civil War guns...I had 26 gun sets per side already...but I really like these figures and was very keen to try some more.

      Delete