Friday 29 September 2023

A Slight Diversion

I had been eyeing this model for some time, but it goes in and out of stock quite quickly and it is quite pricey. But when it became available with a local retailer with whom I had a discount voucher to use, I snapped it up.


It's a lovely piece that will fit in nicely with very clear assembly instructions - and having assembled some  Chinese manufactured flatpack furniture recently this is real blessing!


It went together very easily with a minimal amount of  fiddling about to get parts to fit. Here is the piece assembled and ready for painting...it measures 230mm x 190mm on the bases and stands 235mm tall. Technically it is a 20mm and not a 28mm model, but the sheer size of the model disguises that.

And then painted...it took much longer to paint than I anticipated.







This will work nicely with any game set in southern Europe, particularly with my Peninsular British and Spanish Napoleonic armies, the Carlist War and with the war in Italy in 1866. 

I was hoping to have it available for last Sunday's Carlist War game, but it was not to be so.

16 comments:

  1. That is a lovely model Mark, and beautifully painted. I can see why it took a while, with the white flagstones looking quite fiddly to do. Well worth the effort in picking them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right it was the finished surfaces that took the time. The basic stone work was quite literally half an hour - just a single coat of Karak Stone then a wash of Aly's Brown Liquid and it was done. While it isn't heavy the size of the thing made it awkward to hold when working on it.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, and quite large. It seems fine for 28mm though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is large, I can see it being the central feature in a Peninsular War.

      Delete
  3. Great piece of kit it will certainly dominate the table. Nice work Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. It is certainly going to be the focus of attention.

      Delete
  4. Nice kit and great work on it of course Mark - I wonder if you could do Warlord for false advertising - although they have been clever enough to say "for 28mm wargaming" and not that the kit is 28mm scale!
    Personally, I would be a bit annoyed if I bought something thinking it was a match for 28mm and it was actually only 1/72 - notwithstanding all the practical reasons that its not really a problem! I know lots of people operate a scale down from their figure size - but that should be a choice, not something the suppliers decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too worried about the scale issue. I was well aware that it was 1:72. The door heights are what I generally use as a guide and the smallest on the model are about 26mm high with steps that are about 5mm so the optics are good. I can see the need for a Peninsular War game soon!

      Delete
  5. The original Italieri italian houses are also excellent and worth tracking down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the model that the Perry’s currently have on their magnificent table and it looks fantastic with all the troops marching in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely looking building Mark…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work there Mark and I'm sure this will make a wonderful centre piece for your games:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...just need to find a game for it now...and a place to store it safely.

      Delete