Friday 31 March 2023

Austrian Grenz Regiment, Number 6

This unit is the Varazdin (Warasdiner)-Stankt Georger Regiment, number 6.


Formed in 1749 the Regiment was recruited from that part of modern day Croatia and Serbia that lies east and southeast of Zagreb. Each of its twelve companies were recruited from different localities. In 1769 the regiment was designated number 65 under the inhaber Guicciardi and in 1798 it assumed the title of Varazdin-Stankt Georger Regiment, Number 6.




Its main involvement in the Napoleonic wars was in the 1809 campaign where three battalions (two line and one reserve) of the regiment served across the VI Corps. It was heavily involved in the preliminary actions of the campaign, specifically at Landshut, Neumarkt and Edelsberg. At the Battle of Aspen they fought In Nordmann’s Brigade, but had been so worn down by fighting that the two line battalions counted less than 550 men. It was also engaged at Wagram.

The regiment continued in Austrian service until 1871, when it was disbanded.

I am pleased with the way the brown coats contrast with the light blue pants, and the less formal marching pose suits these border troops and provides a good contrast with the more formal German battalions.

Overseen here by their Austrian master.



16 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking Grenz troops Mark, they are my favourites, with the brown jackets etc ...are these plastic, or are they Perry metal figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. They are metals, as are the Jägers that will follow in a few weeks. One reference I found says that not all the Grenz had brown coats, with some units wearing white, but the brown looks sort of sinister and seems fitting for these renowned hard fighting troops.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's what I found too....I think I did some in white as well as the brown!

      Delete
    3. And in a sea of white I decided I needed the brown coats. I have just finished the first of the artillery in brown an really like them too…but back to the white of the line infantry next.

      Delete
  2. I've always liked that sky blue and brown combination, which I think suits them down to the ground. Lovely command figures too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I agree it is a nice combination. I am about to start the artillery so I get who work with brown coats again…but not the sky blue.

      Delete
  3. They make a colourful sight Mark, and will really stand out among the Austrians. A lovely unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I did think that yellow facings might have been an even brighter option, but stuck with the blue.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Great looking grenz! Commanding colonel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I am pleased with this unit.

      Delete
  5. It’s a good looking regiment for sure. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Stew. I am so pleased with them that a second unit is tempting…but I must resist…

      Delete
  6. Cracking stuff Mark…
    That brown and blue combination is also one of my favourites.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. It is an attractive combination, beaten only by brown and bright yellow, I think.

      Delete
  7. Great painting Mark, I like the officer and standard bearer talking to the drummer, I wonder if they are saying "beat the march not a drum solo, you aren't Ginger Baker!"

    ReplyDelete