Friday 17 March 2023

A Brief Hiatus

Life in my hobby world is slow at the moment. This is largely because I have flattened the lead pile and replacement stocks not due for another week or so. While I am not completely void of hobby tasks there is nothing of significant interest to show right now.

One thing I have been doing a bit more of in these quiet days, is reading and the work that has captured my attention is Earl J. Hess’ Civil War Infantry Tactics: Training, Combat, and Small-Unit Effectiveness, Louisiana State University Press, 2015.

Now my wargaming experience started with the American Civil War, my first love so to speak and you never forget your first love, right (although some times that is a memory you need to push to the back of your mind and shudder). I have been a student of the war for some 40 years and have a few other works by Hess in my collection: Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West (co-written with William Shea), Pickett’s Charge: the Last Attack at Gettysburg and The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat— Reality and Myth. He is an excellent researcher and in age when historians spend most of their time apologising for things they, their parents and their grand-parents are not responsible for he does a really good job of digging up the type of detail that we wargamers like. His work on the rifled musket goes a long way to dismissing the long held theory that it was that the weapon that was a revolution in infantry tactics, an idea originally expressed by Paddy Griffith back in 1987.

In this work Hess argues quite successfully that the traditional view that linear tactics were inadequate to  meet the cluttered nature of the American battlefield was quite false. Neither did the rifled musket render the offensive obsolete. In over 400 tactical examples he shows that effective unit commanders were more than capable of overcoming obstacles, maintaining cohesion and forward movement. 

He also agrees that although the Civil War remains America’s bloodiest war per capita, battlefield casualties were no greater than losses suffered in other eighteenth and nineteenth century battles.

Things of interest to me was to see how common mixed order, line and column, was. Also how difficult a manoeuvre wheels were, especially brigade wheels and that once started an oblique movement could be difficult to control - as several regiments in Pickett’s division found at Gettysburg when their obliquing line met Pettigrew’s advancing column and were squeezed out of the line.

For any one who has a strong interest in Civil War tactics, I would suggest this is a must read.




15 comments:

  1. It's nice occasionally to draw back and do some reading, does sound an interesting book on a conflict that in some way straddles Napoleonic and modern periods , I guess that's what makes the period interesting?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days I read less and less for leisure. Perhaps it is because I have to read so much during the day and very much because when I do get the chance to read it is late up in the day and I usually doze off after a couple of pages.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good book to add into the collection. Flattened the Lead Pile? I cannot imagine such an experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flattening of the lead pile happens a couple of times a year for me…the result of my just in time approach to buying.

      Delete
  3. I can totally believe that your out of miniatures at the rate you paint. 😀
    I too love the ACW and it’s my favorite period to play. I have more rules and books on it than any other genre. 😀
    I haven’t read this book yet as I have no time to read (all my reading these days is an audio book in the car going to and from work)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally have plenty of stock on hand, but I put off my February order for a month after a very expensive January. I thought about audio books but not sure that I could maintain concentration while driving yelling at the idiot drivers.

      Delete
  4. I like that about audio books and other drivers. I have up and down periods where interest is redirected' but running out of lead , not something I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the recent supply chain disruptions are the root cause of my flattened lead pile. I normally keep a bit of a buffer in the firm of a box or two of plastic figures on hand, but I have been caught short thus time.

      I work at the airport and the idiot drivers are usually the Uber drivers dawdling along in the fast lane - the air is frequently blue in my car!

      Delete
  5. I can imagine wheeling would always be a difficult manoeuvre even for experienced troops, and would assume that in the ACW there were a lot of regiments that were rapidly conscripted and put into action without much training. A bit like Napoleon's troops post 1812, where many of his regiments filled with new recruits still had high morale and fought well but had limitations on their manoeuvrability whereas most rule sets normally prescribe low manoeuvrability with low morale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheeling a single battalion is a difficult enough manoeuvre (I am always fascinated watching it done at the trooping of the colour), but a wheel by brigade must gave been a nightmare, especially across fences, through crops and through woods. Hess argues that the popularity of frontal attacks was because it was simply easier than trying to manoeuvre around a flank. He points out something that we perhaps don’t readily appreciate is that while American battlefields had a greater amount of woodland, European battlefields feature many small towns, villages, hamlets and walled farms that break up the manoeuvre space and fields of fire every bit as much as woods do…as I discovered in our Napoleonic game last week.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I'll ever have a flat lead pile.....ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wish I had access to the local traders you gave in the UK…delivery times here are now stretching out to a month. Mind you if I had that access I would probably be considerably poorer.

      Delete
  7. Unusual for you to have nothing on hand to assemble/paint Mark - even if it was just some of your beautiful homemade scenery! There are several local sources of Perry plastics and the like, if you are desperate! It reminds me though, its about time I sent off another overseas order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have things to work on…I am in the midst of rebasing my Prussian Napoleonics and have a bunch of terrain items to paint for someone else. As for the local suppliers, happy to support but when the cost of a box of Perry plastics comes in at $50-60 (plus freight) when I can get them from the UK for $37, my Scottish heritage, as far removed as it is, comes into play!

      Delete
    2. Yes I know....I have some "Prezzy Cards" from work ( Christmas gift and Ten Years Service) and I have found , despite what I have been told, they don't work on overseas sites, so I have used them on some stuff from Mighty Ape and Kapiti Models in the past (although MA has bugger all of interest at present....)

      Delete