Friday 21 June 2024

24,105 Days

That is how long I have been on this planet. That is 66 years. It may actually one day less than that given that I am on the other side of the International Date Line from where I was born, but I'll ignore that. To celebrate the day, and our 26th wedding anniversary from two days ago, we have come down to Queenstown for a bit of a winter break.

We have no specific plans except to enjoy the epicurean delights of the region. Leaving early we flew in with the sun rising over the Southern Alps.

 

Arrival was just before 9:00 AM and a chilly one degree above freezing. We headed straight across the Crown Range for a visit to Wanaka where her indoors wanted to visit the lavender farm to pick up some scented potions. I was there for lunch at the Stoker Room and I could never tire of the view across the lake.


The evening was closed out by a twilight walk around the Queenstown waterfront with the Remarkables illuminated by the evening light, followed by an excellent dinner and the bright lights of the waterfront.



A great end of a to my 24,105th day.





16 comments:

  1. Beautiful vistas are the norm it seems out your way. Happy 66th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some stunning scenery down this way for sure.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday and Anniversary Mark! The pictures look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Mark! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Mark. And you got to spend it in one of your favourite places on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I did! Wanaka was very quiet for a Friday, mind you there isn't much snow at on the slopes yet.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday and congratulations on the anniversary too Mark...ZQN looks stunning as ever, although I am still grieving over the news about Bindi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith...Bindi's apparent departure didn't stop me from spending more than I intended on wine at Gibbston...

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday and anniversary. Great way to celebrate. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...I wish there were more occasions to celebrate in this way...but then I couldn't afford to retire...

      Delete
  7. congrats on 66 orbits and the wedding anniversary (20th ?) are you finally a ward of the state ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce...I am only partly State funded...until January.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday and anniversary too:). The scenery looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It's been a nice break, but home today.

      Delete