Monday 22 January 2024

I Must go Down to the Sea Again...

...and I have been in a way, completing the last three shoreline terrain boards and four all sea boards.

But first, the hill that I worked on earlier has been drybrushed with bright green and yellow to give the dark green felt some tone and is now completely finished. Other heights are in progress.


 Of the terrain boards two are just straight beach sections.



The third is a 90 degree bend, a small cove if you like, with an eroding shoreline - not intended as a cliff face or anything like that since it is only rises 20mm - chest high to a 28mm foot figure - but I do intend to make some pieces that can sit on top of the tiles that might provide a bit more elevation and more of an obstruction.


Then there are four sea tiles just allow for more depth of water area on the table so that in conjunction with the beach tiles a table depth of up to 750mm (two and a half feet) of water  can be represented on the table. 


A few variations of possible layouts are given here. 

A wide bay 1500mm wise 150mm deep water area.

A narrower bay, 1200mm wide and 450 deep water area

An even narrower and deeper bay 900 mm wide and 750mm deep water area


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I am really pleased how they came out...now just need to use them.

      Delete
  2. That looks terrific Mark. I'll look forward to seeing those Perry miniature long boats sailing across these boards before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. It may be a while before they make it to a across that calm sea because I need to make some modification to my table to make use of them and I am not up to it yet...not permitted any strenuous activity for another month or so.

      Delete
  3. Superb work Mark and love the fact that they are modular and allow you plenty of variety for your games:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to make even more pieces, but I only had five frames left and I guestioned how often would I use them anyway...so this will do.

      Delete
  4. I like these very much. VERY much indeed. job well done. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I can see the need for some boats now!

      Delete
    2. you DON'T have boats???!!!!
      must be like the one thing you don't have. 😁

      Delete
    3. I have some for the British landing in a Egypt, but should probably make some for other theatres...I quite like the idea of some ACW coastal operations or maybe the French and Indian War.

      Delete
  5. Fine looking terrain boards Mark…
    I am looking forward to seeing them in use…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Not sure what to do first: Viking raid, Napoleonic or War of 1812 landings, maybe operations along the rivers in the ACW or Great Paraguayan War, or maybe even action in the lakes in the AWI and French and Indian War.

      Delete
  6. The water tiles (in particular) look great Mark - look forward to playing on them at some point - could even be D Day - its a round figure anniversary this year.....must be 80 years, is it??

    ReplyDelete