Saturday 10 June 2023

The Lead (plastic) Pile Restored

The week started with some more ruins. These I did in a sandstone hue (inspired by Keith's description of his family home). 


But now the rest of the ruins will go on the back burner, because yesterday a nice big box of goodies arrived from Nottingham (an impressive delivery by DHL - Nottingham to my Auckland doorstep in four days). 


Contained therein were 378 foot and 16 mounted figures.

 
To put some context around this it will provide 18 battalions of Franco-Prussian French line infantry, two battalions of Chasseurs, a couple of French generals and a regiment of Napoleonic Austrian hussars that I forgot to order last time.

I can hear the cries across the internet "Oh my God 20 battalions of French FPW! Are you insane?"  No not insane, obsessive maybe, but not insane - and do I need to remind you that insanity is only a state of mind? And at any rate twenty battalions is only half the story...literally...because I am planning on 39 battalions. 

To understand why on earth I would want 39 battalions of French infantry I have to take you waaaaaay back to 1973. That was my first year of high school and I actually did quite well academically, scoring first place in the class for science and art for which I earned prizes in the form of book vouchers. One of the books I bought with those vouchers was Donald Featherstone's "Wargames Campaigns". That book was responsible for three closely related things: 
  • It expanded my obsession with wargames
  • It introduced me to the Franco-Prussian War
  • Thanks to my new found obsession with wargames, led to a decline in my academic endeavours and never again did I reach the heady heights of first in the class for any subject (although I did do rather well in history in my last year - helped largely by the fact that a big part of the syllabus for that year was taken up with Europe 1815-1914 where my interest in the Franco-Prussian War led to me writing some bloody good essays on German Unification if I must say so myself).
Now Wargames Campaigns had three chapters on the Franco-Prussian War and I was so enthused that I built small forces using the Airfix WWI French and German sets, but there was no cavalry or artillery that was suitable so the collection went nowhere. It would not be until Wargames Foundry brought out their FPW range in the mid-1980s that I collected seriously (and hugely too with a force of more than 2,500 figures that I eventually had to sell to pay some debts). I also developed an intense interest in the Battle of Spicheren after reading Featherstone's rather simplified description of it, an interest that has seen me write a book on the subject that one day (maybe next year when I retire ) I will publish. And it is as a result of that study that I am building 39 French battalions because I want to build the whole of the French 2nd Corps that fought at Spicheren, just like I built the whole of the Prussian VII Corps that provided most of the German troops in that battle.

Anyway, within a hour of that big box of goodies arriving I had assembled the first six figures and then painted in the evening. By early next week the first battalion should be ready for display. 

The contents of that big box of goodies should keep me busy until August.



23 comments:

  1. Hooray for the arrival of a big box of figures! Four days' journey? Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was very pleased to receive them, especially when the expected delivery was next Monday. Even my friend who works for DHL was impressed.

      Delete
  2. Superb! A fine endeavour. Your deadline of August has shamed me into betting the paint brush out! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really a deadline Norm, more a projection...ideally I want it to stretch into September so that I can place my next order on late August - after the credit card is rolled over, so that I don't have to actually pay for them until October.

      Delete
  3. That is a decent wedge of troops Mark! I have toyed with the idea of more plastic WSS to continue the current Russian expansion of my GNW collection, but as I have six battalions of metal infantry en route from Ebor, I don't really need to buy them yet, if that is what I finally decide to do.
    I recently renewed my UK passport and DHL were involved in the process...my old passport from NZ to Birmingham, W Midlands, via the Middle East and Germany also took four days...of course, it helps to have your own dedicated fleet of freight aircraft....they do charge like a wounded bull for the service too, so it should be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super impressed when the van pulled into my drive at 3:00 pm...we use FedEx at work and a parcel from Kansas City ordered on a Friday NZ time will arrive the following Monday.

      Delete
  4. Nice project; great background of your interest in FPW. Sure to see some good looking troops soo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Two thirds of the first battalion is finished now.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the ruins and incredible delivery from the UK to NZ. Interesting to read the background to why you want to collect some many Battalions, which should certainly make for a wonderful looking game:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Of course I have done big armies like this before - my Crimean force counts 32 Russian and 38 allied battalions. But with retirement just around the corner this will be my last big army.

      Delete
  6. Great project to get your teeth into and plenty of troops to paint up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I suspect that I will need to start some other little project to break the tedium of painting all those battalions!

      Delete
  7. That should keep even you busy for a little while at least Mark. Your comments reminded me of the first time I heard of the Franco Prussian war around the age of eleven or twelve, and it was in a Donald Featherstone book as well; Battles with Model Soldiers. Up until then I had only knew about conflicts involving Great Britain or the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another conflict that Featherstone introduced to me was the Franco-Austrian War of 1859...now if anyone was to make a decent range of 1859 Austrians...

      Delete
  8. great to see the french hace finally arrived . Something about the maths though , 39 battalions of french, 25 of prussian ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished the first battalion. Will base it tomorrow. I never said I was going to have a balance between French and Prussian😉...still others in the group can add at lest another 30 Prussian Battalions.

      Delete
    2. fair enough , im currently on the home stretch of balancing with bavarians. Speaking on inspiration, it was your earlier foundry collection that set me off on my 15mm Franco prussian journey.

      Delete
  9. you weren't kidding, that's a lot of miniatures to show up at once. A noble goal to assemble a whole Corps. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noble or folly? I guess that has been the question asked of many projects throughout history 🙂

      Delete
  10. Nice ruins, this post makes me feel much better about assembling 19 battalions of Napoleonic French line infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite well know for my megalomania. Somehow small armies just don't do it for me.

      Delete
  11. Hi Mark, doing my two boxes of HaT Bavarians has taken me months, they should be finished tomorrow with pics soon on my blog. Looks like you will be one busy Kiwi with all those battalions to paint I can't wait to see them en masse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to seeing your Bavarians Chris.

      Delete