Wednesday 10 August 2022

Russian Generals

Over the weekend I finished a group of nine mounted generals and ADCs for the Russian Napoleonic army. These are the three new packs released by the Perrys in recent months. I will use these to represent the senior command. I haven’t really sorted out how they will be grouped, so they are not a yet based, but here they are in some possible grouping combinations.

Bagration
Uvarov
ADC

Possible group 1

Barclay de Tolly
Poor old Barclay arrived with a terrible casting flaw where the casting had split and it looked as though someone had taken a meat cleaver to his head and split him ear to ear (I think the casting had been removed from the mould when the metal was too hot). Rather than wait a month or more for a replacement figure to arrive I chose to repair him with some green stuff. I think the surgery was a success.
 
Wittgenstein
ADC

Possible group 2


Tuchkov
Shuvalov
ADC
Possible Group 3

Since there will be used in a game coming up in a couple of weeks time, I will need to get the basing soon…probably over the coming weekend.









18 comments:

  1. They look good Mark - even the one who has suffered a head blow for a passing Cuirassier...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a pretty severe blow for even the sharpest of Cuirassier sabre! Hopefully I can get them ready for the next game.

      Delete
  2. Very nice command figures Mark…
    I do like Napoleonic Russian uniforms…they have a similar appeal that the Prussians have…practice but surprisingly colourful… especially the cavalry and standards.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russians were my first Napoleonic army - Hinchliffe figures - back in the late 1970’s. I like the infantry uniform too, that dark green cost trimmed red and white leggings looks smart. I can see a few more Russian cavalry coming soon using those new plastic allied cavalry sets.

      Delete
  3. Fine gaggle of generals, Mark. Barclay looks no worse for the wear from his head splitting headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It’s is always good to have a broad selection of the glittering staff. I did think of bandaging Barckay’s head, but thought better of it.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking Russian command!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Let’s hope they live up to their glittering appearance!

      Delete
  5. Those are very nice and great sculpts as one would expect from the Perrys. Let's hope they perform well on their debut. I'm always tempted to get a few Russian units for the classic, white, green and red, which I think looks rather smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I have always like that colour combination. I try to resist collecting the greatcoated figures as a result…the coat just makes them dull whereas the green and red has a slightly sinister look to it.

      Delete
  6. Very smart and nice job on Barclay de Tolly. It's very disappointing when they are so badly miscast, but your repair job looks seamless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is better than a deformed arm or something. I did note some other issues when I went to paint it, but fortunately they were able to be concealed with paint. Maybe his deformity will make him fight harder!

      Delete
  7. Very nice! Capital officers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I have been waiting for these for some time.

      Delete
  8. Nice job all around! Even with the extreme hats nap soldiers wear. I always thought those wide brim hats with the flower on top kinda extreme. đŸ˜€đŸ˜€
    And if you hadn’t mentioned it; I wouldn’t of know of B’s head surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes with all the feathers on those hats you get the feeling that that chickens must have been very concerned when the Russian army came to town. The Russian army has a fascination with big hats…the grenadiers in 1812 had two foot tall shako plumes, they had those tall leather helmets with a big metal spike in the Crimean War and even today they have large round caps (not quite as big as the North Koreans though).

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks…they actually got on the table yesterday.

      Delete