Saturday 8 August 2020

Completing a Task

Way back in June (and it really does seem such a long time ago) I painted a batch of buildings for a friend link. He requested that one of those buildings be mounted on a board with a walled garden. The buildings and the walls have dat around, painted, since that time. Finally on Friday I found the time to finish the task.

I had the time because I have taken reduced hours at work. The reduction is entirely voluntary, but done because we have made so many people redundant in the business, and more redundancies are likely. My view is that the business can ill-afford losing what talent is left so if enough of us sacrifice some hours it might save someone’s job. Of course it doesn’t mean the the volume of work has reduced! The silver lining that I have Fridays to myself and it has enabled me to finish this model.

I mounted the model and its walls to a piece of 4.75mm MDF, deliberately cutting the edges irregularly. I the  glued some course sand to the outer edges, and painted them various tones of green and brown.

Some sand was also added in parches in the yard and then some Woodlands Scenic turf applied. The turf came out a bit too much like a bowling green so I added  small garden in one corner and a few tuffs and bushes around the walls.





20 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous Mark; idyllic even!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great work as always Mark and I am sure Nick will be very happy with it when you hand it over tomorrow. You missed an entertaining game at JB's last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I read your report. Started planning the South American buildings today.

      Delete
  3. Very handsome estate, Mark! Hope your voluntary work reduction helps out a colleague. Very trying times indeed for the air travel industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes tough times...spent most week saying goodbye to colleagues of 20 years.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mark- Excellent modelling - that little vegetable garden is great - certainly breaks up the uniform lawn. Your painted sand works really well- well done - Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect I should have done a few more dirt patches in the yard.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Mark and hope your friend likes it. Fingers crossed your reduction will help your colleagues. I took voluntary redundancy a month before lockdown, in a vain attempt to save some friends jobs. Sadly the harsh economic reality meant that my efforts failed somewhat:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. There are a number of us doing this so there is some hope.

      Delete
  6. Very nice indeed Mark, and you have really made these Hovel models come to life. A good friend of mine works for Virgin (he was actually at my 21st) and was just hanging in there. I think I'd rather be with Air New Zealand if it came down to a choice between the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all came together quite quickly once I got started. Yes Virgin Oz are in a spot of bother...we need that Trans-Tasman bubble, but I can’t see it happening before Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Great job Mark, I do fear a number of us may have more time on our hands soon.
    Fingers crossed your sacrifice works out for all concerned.
    Cheers
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too...I am Ok for now, but it is an issue fo me to see so many young talented people being let go.

      Delete
  8. A lovely piece of terrain Mark...
    The lawn is certainly better kept than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I haven’t mowed mine for four weeks...mind you it doesn’t grow much this time if year given that we are in the middle of out winter.

      Delete
  9. That's a cracking piece of work there Mark. Really quite superbly done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. I was please with the final result - for a minimal amount of work it came up really well

      Delete