Saturday 18 January 2020

American Civil War Armies Expand

Following on from my last post I have now finished 94 Perry plastic ACW figures.

In terms of the organisation outlined in that post, this now gives me three Union regiments (one tiny, one small and one standard) and four Confederate units (one tiny, two small and one standard).



Again until I have decided that I am happy with this basing method I have simply tacked them to basic card bases.

So how do I see the project going? Well I am pretty keen to take it further as you might guess from theses images...



…well it was on special wasn’t it…about 25% cheaper than I could have bought the same volume of figures ex UK and there is enough here to make another eight infantry regiments, some cavalry and some guns…and a farmhouse with four feet of fencing to boot...gotta love it.

12 comments:

  1. Good stuff Mark, will be interesting to see if you finally settle on the one base units envisaged in this project. Did the battle in a box come from Mighty Ape....I infer from your commentary that it didn't come from Blighty....? I have had a productive day slapping Resene test pot paint on some Copplestone Bolsheviks and Nick has sent me a few images of his early republican French which look stunning as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it came from MA. If I had been more patient I could had ordered it from Caliver and would have saved $55, but alas patience is not a virtue I have been overly blessed with. I have started the first of the Crimean Turks today, using contrast paints.

      Delete
  2. Amazing rate of output there Mark. Lovely stuff. I have to admit that it is the assembly that puts me off the plastics with all the separate bits, but it does lend itself to much more variety. Are they easy enough once you get the hab,ng of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say it has been a great relief Work on figures with such a simple uniform. I don’t find the assembly of plastics too arduous, but then I have a specific approach...I paint six figures a night and I never assemble more than I can paint the next night, so six. I think the big mistake that many make is to assemble the whole box at once and that would indeed be tedious. The Perry plastics aren’t too bad for parts, three or four at the most, unlike the Victrix and some of the Warlord Games sets.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it’s probably more the other two I was thinking about. The pictures I had seen with all the separate parts, with muskets to be glued on to arms which then had to be cemented on to torsos, was enough to put me off.

      Delete
    3. Some of the Perry sets have complex assemblies, but seem to be better though out.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful figures all around Mark, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work Mark, amazed at how quickly you churn these out and at such quality.
    Looking forward to seeing more.
    Best wishes
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. It is rather nice to be working on something so simple.

      Delete
  5. This is a very interesting exercise. You filled your various bases with painted troops in rapid order. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It is a bit of fun. I’m looking forward to doing the cavalry next.

      Delete