Friday 5 April 2019

Spanish Artillery and a Bit of Planning

It is with some relief that the demise of Google+ has passed without damaging my blog. I must admit I had some concern largely because I had no idea what Google+ actually did. I did go to the effort of backing up my data which showed maybe 20 or so possible pages affected, but now that the deadline is passed, all of those pages are still intact, so who knows.

Last night I completed the base on the fourth and final gun set for the Spanish Napoleonic army. This is a lovely set  with the gunners firing the gun.




In a quiet moment I updated my project plan. It is a much more fractured plan than last year’s that will result in a much lower output overall, in line with my plan to manage storage. Apart from the completion of the Spanish and a few bits and pieces of French 1812-13, the plan does feature one unanticipated project (the French Revolutionary army), three expansions (Carlist War – completed – Peninsular British/War of 1812 and War of 1812 American) and one completely new project (Swedish Napoleonic). The very end of the year has some space for some potential enemies of the Swedish or French Revolutionary armies.


Time will tell how this all pans out.



10 comments:

  1. A nice looking gun sir...

    Plan...!?!
    No mater how many times you write/say it... I just see some letters... ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plans...they are full of good intent, but often something shiny and new becomes a distraction. I get there in the end but not always on schedule . I do like that gun set and am tempted to do more, but must resist!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking gun, really nicely painted! I admire your planning, your much better at quantifying your output and therefore being able to plan,I just muddle along in hope!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. My ‘just in time’ purchasing requires careful planning and I tend to buy from suppliers whose service levels I can count on. I would be terrible at planning if I was able to attend the UK shows as the inner magpie would get the better of me.

      Delete
  3. I think you are guilty of a considerable level of self deprication there Mark - you would be one of the most organized and focused wargames collectors/painters out there, I am sure. You basically make a plan, then execute it - no deviation, no overruns - as for scope creep, well, there might be a bit of that, but no project sticks rigidly to every deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to plan at all until I did that Crimean army for Tarawera, when it was a necessity to ensure that the armies were done on time. My problem is that almost every project starts as a little collection and expands well beyond the boundaries, examples being The Crimea: original plan was a brigade each of British, French and Sardinian against Russian division - end result 60 battalions, 18 cavalry regiments and about 30 guns. The Carlists: 9 units a side planned, now there are 36 battalions, 11 cavalry and 9 guns. The root cause of the problem...too many shiny thing come on the market!

      Delete
  4. Another fine-looking artillery piece Mark. Good point about the storage, and this is something that is starting to play upon my mind as I continue to plough through my lead mountain particularly because finished pieces inevitably take up more space than the raw stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storage has become a major issue. I have filled the available space in the garage and in my study. There is a need for a major rework of the garage that might yield a little more space...a task for the Easter break maybe.

      Delete
  5. You paint faster than I can view and read your posts, Mark!
    Fab work on the gun and crew.

    Planning is a useful task...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It is amazing what you can achieve with a discipline of six figures a night...in the current project that is a battalion every three days.

      Delete