Saturday 5 January 2019

First Units for the Year

Although I have billed this as the first unit of the year, I actually painted this Carlist cavalry unit on the last two days before we went away.

It is the last cavalry unit that I am doing for the First Carlist War expansion - unit number six for the Carlists.



This time it is a Castillian unit. Almost as soon as I completed the first three figures I regretted making it a Castillian unit. The uniform seems a little dull. White belts would have lifted the unit, but the guide book shows them with black belts and that is what I have given them.


Actually completed in the New Year, although started in late-December, are the last two sets of the six Victrix British artillery for use in the War of 1812 and the Peninsula.




18 comments:

  1. Nice! I agree,white webbing would have made the cavalry pop even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly the Castillians could not afford a fashion designer.

      Delete
  2. very nicely done, both figures and basing, with the backdrop making the photography a total success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. I must create some new backgrounds - I have been using that one for a while now.

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done, love this awesome cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, we shall see how the do in battle.

      Delete
  4. Great start to the year Mark, the Arty looks great.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. The Victrix plastics give lots of opportunity for conversions.

      Delete
  5. Wow off to a speedy start! Good stuff Mark, nice units :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mark. A few more units are on the painting table now and should appear on the blog over the next week or so

    ReplyDelete
  7. Off to another flying star Mark, even though the Carlists were technically 2018. I like them, and the red headgear at least give them a lift, unlike those dreary brown-uniformed Napoleonic Spanish militia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great Mark
    It’s all a matter of taste... I rather like the red/brown combination.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking unit of cavalry! Your right that the white webbing would look better but they're still pretty good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. They are lovely figures to work with.

      Delete
  10. I like the Victrix Brits too Mark - you have done a great job of putting them together - having done this set myself, I know there is an almost limitless range of possibilities - your poses look nice n natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only issue is that not all the arms fit all the torsos, so sometons there is a bit of filling required. One of the interesting things though is that you can sometimes replace the hand on a figurs - I have done that with the officer of the loading gun set replacing the sword hand with an open hand.

      Delete