Tuesday 11 September 2018

9th Hussar Regiment

In previous posts I have admitted to my hussar addiction. I have also admitted to a bit of hussar remorse – that feeling of “OH WHY…” as soon as I start to paint them.

 

This unit of Perry Miniatures plastic French hussars, for my French 1812-13 project certainly feeds my addiction, but I didn’t get the remorse this time…in fact I really enjoyed painting them.


 


Many people are put off by the assembly of plastic figures, but they don’t cause me a problem. Perhaps it is because I take care not to assemble more figures that I can paint in the next sitting, which is usually three figures, so that the assembly does not become a chore.

 



These figures assembled really easily and painted just as easily too. I made it easier for myself by painting the pelisses separately and gluing them on after the rest of the figure was completed. Not having to work around a cast pelisse made the work so much easier and pleasurable.

 



I have another unit of hussars to do for what will be Burthe’s 8th Light Cavalry Brigade in Pajol’s 2nd Light Cavalry Division at Borodino. These figures are enroute and should arrive sometime this week.

14 comments:

  1. Another very pretty unit Mark..."but can they fight?" (Quote courtesy of "The Dirty Dozen") I like your idea about painting the pelisses separately but some people take it too far and paint everything individually on the sprue - that seems OTT to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see in good time if they can fight!

      The only other piece that I might consider painting separately would be the sabretache, but I resisted this time.

      See you on Friday.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, Mark! The horse anatomy of the Perry figures is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. I think this is the nicest of the Perry Plastic sets...of course I haven't seen the chasseurs á cheval yet.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking hussars! I have to say that I also enjoyed assembling these hussars,they the just so well designed, I'm not convinced that they will be easy to paint though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. I agree they are really well designed and with so many options. I was surprised how easy they were to paint. The derail is easy to pick out and the braid - always a challenge for me - came up a treat with a simple ink wash.

      Delete
  4. Great job Mark, and yes an excellent kit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are rather nice...
    Blue and red... what’s not to like...
    I know they are ‘light cavalry ‘... but I was handling an original dolman last week... beautiful... weighed a ton.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The next unit will be the 5th regiment - all blue with a white pelisse. Yes I don't doubt the dolman would be heavy...no lightweight fabrics in those days, just good old wool linen and cotton and lots of heavy brass buttons! At least if you can't beat them with a sword, you could still whack them with your coat!

      Delete
  6. These look great. I must admit I am one of those put off by plastic figures, and I am not quite sure why when some of the lead figures require almost as much clean-up in terms of time as the plastic assembly does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freely admit that that metals are my preferred option, but for this large collection (18 infantry battalions, 14 cavalry regiments and 13 gun sets) cost came into the equation. I find that the assembly is not an issue and I simply make it part of the process. Thankfully the Perry figures don't have an excessive number of parts to glue on - in the case of the infantry it is just a pack in most cases. The cavalry sets have a few more parts, but it is not too onerous.

      Delete