As a bit of a break from the British in Egypt – largely driven by the fact that I have painted all the figures that I have on hand for that project – I have moved on to some Woodland Indians.
I bought these last month when Warlord Games had a 30% off special on them. My main use is for the War of 1812, but secondary uses for the French and Indian War and the American War of Independence are also envisaged.
These are from the Warlord plastic set that they took ownership of when they bought the Wargames Factory ranges. The set consists of three sprues each of 8 bodies, plus a huge variety of arms, heads, headdresses, weapons and pouches. There is more than enough variety to make every figure in the box different. In fact after assembling all 48 figures I don't think one is the same as any other.
When I first unpacked the box I thought the figures looked a little too slender, but once they assemble up they look OK and paint up just fine. My only complaints are that there is no option for a standing firing figure and that the necks on the figures are a little too short - a another half millimetre would have made all the difference.
Nonetheless the paint up easily and here are the first of what will eventually be four units. A fifth unit, utilusing some Front Rank figures painted some twenty years ago, will join the other four when they are re-based.
Readers may remember from my last post that I have set a standard for basing my armies of six infantry figures to a stand and for Napoleonics (into which the War of 1812 can be levered) the base size is 45mm frontage and 40mm depth. From the start I expected to reduce the number of figures on the indians' stands to five, but I quickly found that because of the highly animated poses of the figures that it was impossible to fit more than three figures on the base without them looking ridiculously crammed. The obvious advantage is that the nine and a half stands that would have been possible with five figures to a stand has increased to sixteen stands with three per stand.