The first structure is a fairly substantial one, consisting of three parts: a two storey residence with external stairs, a smaller residence, a stable and a courtyard, all contained within an outer wall with wooden gate.
The other two are to be fairly simple, single storey structures.
I chose to start on the largest building first and quite quickly cut out and assembled the three key components from a heavy card, using matchsticks to frame the windows and make the doors.
The two-storey dwelling (with external stairs).
The single-storey dwelling (with arched doorway and stairs connecting with the roof of the larger dwelling)
And the stable
All three components dry assembled as below:
I stayed pretty much true to the original plan, although I altered some of the dimensions to constrain the overall size and dispensed with the arch in the courtyard wall.
With the cardboard forms constructed I then applied the outer finish. For this I used the artist modelling compound that I use for basing figures, with a few pinches of fine sand added for texture. I applied this with a pallette knife and left to dry.
Next I glued the whole structure to a base and added the courtyard walls.
I added the front gate then the whole structure was painted with the same sand colour I used for my French in Egypt bases and washed with a thinned down coat of GW Seraphin Sepia. The doors and window frames were painted and the window cavaties blackened. Finally I drybrushed the whole model with two lightened shades of GW Tallard Sand, the second shade being almost white. Then a few water stains and it was finished.
So for this village, one model down, two to go.