With six months of the year gone it is time for my half year wrap up. In the past I have had a rather cavalier approach to my projects, flitting between them like a butterfly, but in recent times I have been a much more disciplined butterfly, and this year even more so.
At the beginning of the year I determined to focus on eight specific projects:
- The completion of the French in Egypt (that included an expansion)
- The completion of the French 1812-1813 army
- Adding the Heavy Brigade to the British Crimean War army
- The start and finish of the British in Egypt
- The start of the Ottoman Turks for 1798-1801
- The expansion of the War of 1812 collection
- The start of a Spanish Napoleonic army
- The start of a Swedish Napoleonic army
On top of these projects would be a number of terrain items that would support the various projects. These would be my butterfly items that I could flit between to provide a bit of variety amongst the masses of figures.
So what is the state of the project plan? Well it is pretty good really.
- The main part of the French in Egypt collection was completed in January, with a small expansion in May/June. The figures for a slightly bigger expansion are on order
- Heavy Brigade for the Crimea, well only half of that is done due to figure supply issues. These figure are still unavailable, but I hope to be able to to complete this expansion before year’s end
- The British in Egypt collection is completed except for two gun sets that are on order
- The French 1812-1813 collection is progressing well and will meet the completion deadline of November
- The War of 1812 expansion exceeded its targets by being ahead of time and larger than was intended
- The Ottoman Turks project has started, but is intended to be a “gathering” force, with units being added here and there over the next year or two
- The Spanish and Swedish Napoleonic collections are not yet started, but do have slots in the schedule from October through December.
On top of the figures I have made some terrain pieces – the War of 1812 blockhouse, the Maori Village, some woodland indian houses, the Egyptian village and based all those palm trees!
So to the statistics:
|French in Egypt||87||18||2||635||10|
|British in Egypt||304||33||4||2060||29|
|War of 1812||48||6||0||310|| 5|
In addition to this are 30 terrain items with a points count of 1,020, giving a total points count for the year to date of 6,435.
This year I created a number of reporting tools to not only monitor my progress, but to manage my purchases too, keep me within my budget and out of serious trouble with her indoors.
A half year result of 6,435 painting points is pretty respectable in my books. The second half year won’t yeald as high a total because there will be a couple of significant disruptions to painting time, but Istill anticipate meeting all my targets.
Oh dear, I have just read through what I have written and realised how close to my real life performance review it reads…although if I could count as many successes in real life I would be much happier, but then I don’t have to deal with insanely beaurocratic corporate IT group in my hobby life.