Saturday, 22 August 2026

Villages for the Franco-Prussian War - Part 6: The Lorraine Houses Completed!

These two end pieces complete the Lorraine village-rue. They are both rather plain residences.

The first is a narrow hipped roof building. 

Front and side

Side and back

The second is a rather odd shaped building. I could have made it a regular shape, but I had to change the roofing material I was using because I couldn't find any stock of the original. This new material is in smaller sheets which left some odd shaped off-cuts that I figured needed to be used - also I had bought the last two packs of the material. So I adjusted the shape of the building around the left-overs.

Front and side

Side and back

Also completed are the first three of the garden wall pieces. There are a variety of widths to these pieces but the depth is a standard 60mm so that a 60x40mm stand can be placed inside. These are made from a variety of offcuts and there will be will be another six or so pieces, in various stages of repair and with differing amounts of foliage, thst will be made as I work on other projects. Of course, in a real village the yards would be much deeper than I have made them (contemporary maps, photographs and sketches show them 50-100 metres deep) and cluttered with outhouses, storage sheds, gardens and small orchards, but these are wargames buildings - that depth would make them too big on the table and the clutter would make them impractical for gaming.



So lined up as a village here are all thirteen of the houses.


 Now, along with the church, in a couple of variations, with a bit of AI assistance from Google Gemini.









4 comments:

  1. Fabulous village, Mark! AI shows off your work very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. There is a need to 'restrain' Gemini's enthusiasm to change the way the image is posed - three of the last six images vary from the original layout.

      Delete
  2. Those are superb. Very envious, will certainly give the wargames table the perfect feel for FPW battles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I need to pull together a game to use them.

      Delete