Pages

▼

Thursday, 1 October 2026

Villages for the Franco-Prussian War - Part 12: The Final Alsace house

This is the sixth and final building in this series.








Compared to the last two chocolate box houses, this is rather simple and plain. The addition of some pent roofs (mainly to use up the last bits of roofing material), the fence and the hedge helps to lift what was otherwise a rather dull model. 

I also completed another couple of garden walls to go with the FPW buildings.


Now, all six Alsace buildings formed into a number of village configurations.













And, just for Aly, a sort of re-creation of the charge of Michel's cuirassiers in the streets of Morsbronn on 6 August 1870.




And finally the scene above rendered as a painting in the style of a painter famed for his FPW painting


In truth I am quite pleased that is the final of one of the series. Over the last three months I have made 20 buildings in a row, 23 if I include the three buildings that make up the Schirlenhof Inn, and I am suffering from building fatigue, so the builder's yard will be closed for a while. I need to move on to something else...how fortunate that something has come along...

18 comments:

  1. A beautiful addition and it all looks great assembled together. You have done a mountain of building work this year so I can imagine you wanting to try something different. It will be interesting to see what that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, you are right about the number of buildings, my productivity spreadsheet tells me that I have made or painted 83 so far this year, by far the most ever in a year. I have some plans for more to cover the French Revolutionary Wars that will start probably late-November.

      Way back in 1986 I travelled through Switzerland and thought about making those Swiss chalets, but what 19th Century war to fight? I was not aware of the Suvarov campaign then and the only war I knew of was the Swiss Civil War of 1847, but it only lasted three weeks and no one makes figures, of course. I have taken an interest in Suvarov's campaign - the thought of Russian troops operating in Italy and the Alps intrigues me.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All looking great as always. What is the program you used to get the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I used Google Gemini and simply gave it instructions to render the image as a painting in the style of de Neuville. It didn't really capture his style, but near enough.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely fantastic Mark! The houses in front of the back drops are very realistic and I had to look twice at some of them to check if they had been altered by AI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. The AI did alter one image - truncating one building and I didn't notice it until it was posted.

      Delete
  6. Another lovely piece of modelling and painting Mark and very nice to see the completed collection together, they really will look so impressive on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. They fit together quite nicely.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. I am really pleased with this set and looking forward to getting them on the table.

      Delete
  8. A superb building. The whole collection is impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I like that there are many combinations that can be built.

      Delete
  9. It may be simple and plain to you Mark, but it looks stunning to me! I do like your "painting in the style of" image at the end of the post, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. It did look quite 'boxy' until those pent roofs went on...the painting didn't quite look as I wanted, but I the AI seems to struggle to match a style when there are many small figures.

      Delete